off road Junipers

John Hill

Mame
Reaction score
Here are 3 junipers that I collected off the side of the road, leterally! They were destine for the dump! I knew they were not there the day before so they couldn't of been out of the ground for long? So I had to stop and pick them up before the trash man did. I pruned everything off and only kept what I thought I could use(mainly everything but one branch) . It was late fall so maybe just maybe they will make it. I proceeded to cut and load. This is my first attemp at posting pics so bear with me ;-)
What was so nice about these junipers is that I didn't even break a sweat collecting them ;-) They must be at least 25- 30 years old.
It was Nov 3 here in zone 6 when I potted them up. They spent 2 days in my garage before then. The temps were supposed to dip into the upper 20s low 30s so I placed them in the garage until the temps rebounded in a couple days. Crazy weather!! I potted them in all lava rock and spagnum moss. As of today they are nice and green and looks like they will make it,, all three of them. I hope anyway. I can't wait to get they grinder out;-)

A Friend in bonsai
John

Attachments

• 4c.jpg
    4c.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 154

John Hill

Mame
Reaction score
some close ups

A Friend in bonsai
John

Attachments

• 1c.jpg
    1c.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 85
  • 2a.jpg
    2a.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 4a.jpg
    4a.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 74

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sweeett! John, outstanding. My brother and I spent the better part of a day digging the same size and quantity up. He hasn't spoken to me since;). Nice score

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice score, John. Are you planning on carving a lot of the wood? If so, when?
(If I bring home anymore "roadside" finds, I might lose one wife).

John Hill

Mame
Reaction score
Sweeett! John, outstanding. My brother and I spent the better part of a day digging the same size and quantity up. He hasn't spoken to me since;). Nice score

ROTFLMAO
Yea I bet lol. These were taken out with a backhoe and left for the junk man (me ;-o )

A Friend in bonsai
John

John Hill

Mame
Reaction score
Nice score, John. Are you planning on carving a lot of the wood? If so, when?
(If I bring home anymore "roadside" finds, I might lose one wife).

Hey Barry long time no type.
I may start some this winter if I get real bored. If not be in the summer. I want to start before the wood has to much time to dry out, makes carving a bit harder. I will take my time as not to move them to much so as not to hurt the developing roots (I hope)
I want them to get vigorous before I do any bending and styling.

A Friend in bonsai
John

John Hill

Mame
Reaction score
I would put those things in shade ASAP or under shade cloth or similar. Good score!

They have been protected 2 months now. I just had them there for pics. They were then moved into the garage and then at Christmas moved into my hillbilly hut for the winter. This dagone weather is something else today, in the 50s and supposed to be for the next 3 or 4 days. I even have some flower bulbs wanting to push up. Not good!!

A Friend in bonsai
John

John Hill

Mame
Reaction score
Huh? I gotta know more as I can't even imagine.

LOL! It is just one of those canvas garage tent type thing that I put up to winter my trees in. The first time I put it up in the back yard my wife said it looked like a hillbilly hut ;-) so that is what I call it.

A Friend in bonsai
John

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
LOL! It is just one of those canvas garage tent type thing that I put up to winter my trees in. The first time I put it up in the back yard my wife said it looked like a hillbilly hut ;-) so that is what I call it.

A Friend in bonsai
John

Gotcha. I was imagining something built from old pallets and fence posts with a ragged blue tarp for a roof. Not that I have anything like that in my back yard...

John Hill

Mame
Reaction score
Here is my hillbilly hut as my wife calls it.

A Friend in bonsai
John

Attachments

• Hillbilly hut.jpg
    Hillbilly hut.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 64

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
John .... I like it. So much that I have 3 of them. Sam's club 200.00 bucks, which I consider a deal. There good quality and last forever. The first one I purchased was 4 years ago and almost looks like new. I find it good winter quarters, and in the summer I remove the sides. Viola, a shaded spot that works as well as shade netting.

John Hill

Mame
Reaction score
Yep Sam,s club $200 good deal and strong frame. You can put them up in a short span.

A Friend in bonsai
John

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A little too soon for that Dwight. These trees are in recuperation mode and doubt that they will see any human intervention with the exception of TLC for another year or so. During this time frame, John is definitely studying which direction(s) he will take when the time comes.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
A little too soon for that Dwight. These trees are in recuperation mode and doubt that they will see any human intervention with the exception of TLC for another year or so. During this time frame, John is definitely studying which direction(s) he will take when the time comes.

I tend to err on the side of caution with collected material. Junipers are vigorous plants and can handle a lot of abuse. However I have found once the roots are disturbed it will take them about three growing seasons to re-establish a root system powerful enough to tolerate further abuse the Jinning process and the wiring process and the styling process will inflict on it. I would not do anything any more aggressive than pinching back and minor pruning. Leave the major work for at least two more growing seasons.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice find. Don't you love it when that happens? ;)

One question, if you don't mind, I noticed a lot of branches sawed off, did you do this?

Will

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score

Guess I should have asked about any new growth as thats what I ment....DO !

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I originally saw these trees in another thread on another forum, and I've been looking forward for an update on their health. How did they do this past winter?
Hoping for good news,

Dave

Top Bottom