Olive #2

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That’s a nice olive, I like the pot too it compliments the tree. Are all of your trees collected?

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wonderfully dramatic! This looks like a “real” ancient olive in the Mediterranean hills. I like it a great deal now that the crown has reached balance with the deadwood.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The long probably over one hundred years old deadwood originally went into exactly the opposite direction than today. In 2001 during a demonstration someone cut it and tuned it around. This was a great idea. But he never managed to fix it so it looked original. This I did a few years later.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thank you for your reply.
... ...This was a great idea. But he never managed to fix it so it looked original. This I did a few years later.
Yes, of course.
Although we cannot see an older picture of the tree for comparison, it is obvious that having the deadwood following the flow of the trunkline to the left it is much more aesthetically pleasing.
And the work of your repairing the "surgery" is absolutely perfect, if I may say.
All natural looking!

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
OK, another opportunity to make myself new enemies :oops:

This Olea lloks like a Juniper.

This looks like a “real” ancient olive in the Mediterranean hills.

To me, it doesn't at all: I live in Europe, not Canada, and from Southern France to italy, Catalunya, Spain, Portugal and Morocco, this is not at all what I remember of the thousands of Olive trees I've seen.

Technique here has overwhelmed nature: this tree is not a rendition of the many olive trees I've seen down here, and that includes huindreds of trees that have been left unattended for generations.

Very good work, but don't call it "naturalistic" Olea. It isn't . It's a very good bonsai, that's all, and I find it disappointing.

You might find it less "modern", but this is how I remember a venerable Olive tree :

2018-09-TSA_4194ofw-b.png

Wouldn't less be more ? To me, "dead wood" is much too often an artefact : it looks spectacular, but is it always coherent, or even relevant ?....

To me, the (rather thin for the rest of the design) "ten-jin" steals the show : it detracts the attention of the spectator whereas the major interest of the tree is the base. To me, the rest is just "bluffing".

That's why I find this tree of yours disappointing :confused:

I hope you can take my critique for whatit's worth. Just a personal view, hope you don't mind

Alain K.

Estonio

Mame
Reaction score
This Olea lloks like a Juniper
Fully agree, I was born and raised in Andalucía sourranded by olives and since some years ago I live in Cataluña. I never saw an olive tree even close to this design...

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This olive does not look like an olive they cry out loud. So what? Who said that it looks like one. Why is this a problem? Why do you not cry out loud at every single juniper bonsai that it does not look like a juniper? Who said that an artist must only work in one style???

Top Bottom