Olive tree presumed dead (rescue mission)

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The bottom part does seem to be growing, so even if the branches seem dead all hope is not lost, sure it's gonna look less pretty for a while, maybe look into a smaller design?

But for now, don't think about design or shape, just focus on health for now.

SevenOaks

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
During winter things have been somewhat dormant. ;) But anyways, I wanted to return to Olivia and show the progress from "presumed dead" to "sprouting". Photo 1 shows the general view - there is growth from the stem further down, but as you can see in photo 2, above the black line nothing grows.

So, I have a bunch of questions.

1. How do I go about "reducing" the dead part? Just cut it off (large cutter? Saw?) or do I just let it go on growing for another season as it is?

2. Can I already prune some of the lower offshoots? It's pretty hard to see where I want the tree to go at the moment.

3. I'd like to get rid of the pot - too heavy - but I guess I should either prune or repot this season?

Attachments

• Olivia1.jpg
    Olivia1.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Olivia2detail.jpg
    Olivia2detail.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would prune off the dead material and let everything else grow wild this season. After a near-death experience she might need to gather strength.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would let it be till the end of spring, and not prune yet. What has not popped leaves then, probably will not come back. But with trees like these, patience is the name of the game.
Glad to see it is happy now.

Top Bottom