One more landscape yew

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wow, hardly looks like the same tree. I mean it does, but it changed the whole personality. Funny how little it takes sometimes. I always try to remind myself that most times, less is more...
I like the new proposed angle.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I always try to remind myself that most times, less is more...
I like the new proposed angle.

Thanks Judy. I've been doing this for the better part of two decades and I still have difficulty applying the "less is more" axiom when designing a tree. Having lots of branches or "options" is like a safety net that, in my mind, prevents me from ruining the tree, but in reality, may be preventing me from creating something special. Well it isn't a race, so as long as I get there, it's all good:).

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Very nice. It looks like everything is in place now and just needs to grow. Maybe grow a pad right in front of where the main descending branch emanates from the trunk.

Rob

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very nice. It looks like everything is in place now and just needs to grow. Maybe grow a pad right in front of where the main descending branch emanates from the trunk.

Rob

Thanks Rob. That's a good idea...there's a branch on the right of it that can be wired in that direction and the foliage will grow out enough this coming year.

brianjuniper

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Rob that yew looks great I personally like the second angle the best, anyway how has everything been I haven't been up to ne bonsai in a while.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Ya, Dave's Yew is just awesome.

Ne Bonsai is doing well. Slowing down a bit. They are not open everyday any more. I think they are open like 4 days a week or something like that now. Also, Jun who has been visiting from Japan on I believe a 2 year stay, has been working there and has kept the nursery going.

Also, member tmmason10 (Tom) from here is starting a bonsai club. It is mostly made up of Kaikou School students, but not exclusive to them. I am going to join. I believe the first meeting is next month. You can pm him if you would like more details.

Rob

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That's a club I'd like to join!

Seriously. Maybe I could Skype in lol.
Seems like the material on the website isn't as good as it used to be, and seems like the pricing is less competitive as well. Maybe it's just the winter months.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks for the shoutout Rob, I will post a reminder on this forum soon. Judy we'd love to have you!

The website has never had the best of the material anyways, but it does seem a bit light right now. I'm sure there is a California trip in the works for the spring.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So, I keep plodding along with this one. It was re-potted at the more desirable planting angle two springs ago. Unfortunately, the tree grew weekly last year, so not much was done to it. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to manage and develop yew foliage which, I think, is another reason why this one is taking so long to "get there". It's all good, though as I love the deadwood and I'm pretty sure I'll figure out the foliage. Any way, It got heavily thinned and mostly rewired recently...still a small amount of wiring left and some tweaking as well. The deadwood was reworked a bit as well...trying to hollow out the trunk a bit which is tricky to say the least.
DSCF3417.jpg DSCF3420.jpg DSCF3421.jpg DSCF3418.jpg DSCF3419.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dav4 you're a tuff nut to crack!
Funny, mean, serious, addicted.
I don't know you well enough to be being the regular me, but I appreciate your stuff too much to not say.....

This is wicked tree! Mad interest from all around, and that fact that it's alive in a pot and growing.....is delightful to ME!

I just feel like you might could use to hear that....sounds like you're down about this tree, if you believe in the "spirit bonsai", I think that's all this needs.

I killed one...but I have one in the front courtyard, very traditional for yew yes?

I watch when they cut it, and clean it off of the yellow scraps that are left, sometimes position branches a little to fill gaps, and generally observe it....

Which is of no help to you :pbut still.....

If my landlord ain't killed that one yet...
Surely you can rock this one out!

C'mon Dav4:) cheer this thread up!o_O

My dogs getting old snipola Sunday!

Sorce

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nah, I'm not really down on the tree. Actually, I'm happy with the direction it's taken in the last few years. Still...check out the date of the first post of this thread.....over 8 years ago. I figured I would have been further along with it by now...oh well, it gets just a bit better each year so I guess I'll keep working on it:).

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nah, I'm not really down on the tree. Actually, I'm happy with the direction it's taken in the last few years. Still...check out the date of the first post of this thread.....over 8 years ago. I figured I would have been further along with it by now...oh well, it gets just a bit better each year so I guess I'll keep working on it:).
Dave, are you cutting tips regularly? Have you let any of them run?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Dave, are you cutting tips regularly? Have you let any of them run?
I let it grow out every year then cut back. When growing well, it back buds to a fault and the branches can become very congested and messy. This year, I'm going to be more consistent with thinning out the needles and extra buds and see if I can focus growth where I want it.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting to look back through this thread and see all those people who don't post here anymore.

Tree is coming along, even if slowly! I wanted to ask...even if you don't think you've figured out "the best way to manage and develop yew foliage", do you have anything to share...maybe what hasn't worked too well for you? I have a yew that is getting to the point where it needs serious work, and I've always heard that they are very tough/tolerant, will backbud well, etc. Do you get a second growth flush if you cut back the current years growth?

Chris

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Interesting to look back through this thread and see all those people who don't post here anymore.

Tree is coming along, even if slowly! I wanted to ask...even if you don't think you've figured out "the best way to manage and develop yew foliage", do you have anything to share...maybe what hasn't worked too well for you? I have a yew that is getting to the point where it needs serious work, and I've always heard that they are very tough/tolerant, will backbud well, etc. Do you get a second growth flush if you cut back the current years growth?

Chris
Healthy yews absolutely tolerate aggressive pruning. For a few years, I used to pinch out the spring growth before it had hardened off. Now, I'm cutting back most of the spring growth after it's hardened off and thinning needles regularly. With my larger yew, this did result in a partial second flush...haven't tried it on this one yet.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
over 8 years ago. I figured I would have been further along

I was actually almost as surprised as I've ever been looking back at this thing!

Have yew never cut it in late summer?
Only once?

I only ask because they cut the one out front of me twice a year, in a topiary fashion, late spring, and early fall. It always backbuds, but my "senses" tell me it(as bonsai) would rather appreciate one late heavy cut over anything else. Or possibly even a 2 year stretch before one pruning.

The way these are slow to recover, I just "feel" like this is a slow game tree.

But don't we have a good schedule for yew anywhere? UK? YewK? Lol.

Anywho, if you clean up the deadwood and live veins, I want to see it, the features seem to have a rare type of interplay.

This is definitely one of my favorite bases on a yew. Really makes me happy to hear you may consider more than plodding, bimbling perhaps?!

Sorce

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey, Dav4, I really like this tree. Especially the image from the latest photographs.
I'm not really all the way yet there with design and being able to project what a tree will look like a few years out. This thread has helped me a bit, I think, in this regard. So thanks for posting.

Going back to your initial post, from a number of years ago, and reading folks comments was an eye opener.
As the first glimpse of the tree was the most recent photo, I thought that having more of the foliage to the viewers left and display the deadwood features on the right a little more prominently. I think that was something BVF was suggesting. At least that how I pictured what he was getting at. Not comparing my design eye to his, obviously, but, it's nice to think I'm making some progress in this area. I thought to myself that maybe reducing the top some would add power and presence to the character-filled lower trunk. From your posts of your other trees, I can see you try to create taller, gracefully lined trees, with some dramatic downward sweeping branches thrown in for good measure! Curious to know what you would think of compacting the image of this tree?

It does seem odd that it doesn't grow as vigorously as you would figure.
Maybe an old compacted soil pocket at the base?

We've seen what you have done with Mavis.....:cool:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Have you seen this blog post by Tony Tickle on developing foliage masses on yew? Might be worth a look.

http://yamadori.co.uk/2013/07/11/how-to-create-dense-foliage-mass-on-yew-bonsai/
Nope, I hadn't seen that one. That's pretty much what I'm doing now though I may be pulling more needles (I just started this past summer on my other yew, and literally just pulled needles and wired this one last month). We'll see what happens this year. Thanks for the link.

Top Bottom