One of my favorite pots

ikiru_vessels

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Your green one is Yamafusa, good quality tokoname.
Thanks Brian! Any thoughts on the other? I've used all the normal resources to no avail. Based on the construction is was mold made with some hand finishings but the clay body is almost a dark metal color absent of a lot of hearty brown akin to Tokoname.

ikiru_vessels

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Yes....this is some second hand store!!
I was going to spare the details but my mom works at this store and is in charge of the intake and pricing. She said pots would come in there pretty often and I was like wait what? and so I had her take photos of them as they came in and she's now my supplier haha, I've procured about 50 pots a lot of them quite old and mostly from Japan although she nabbed a Gremel as well.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks Brian! Any thoughts on the other? I've used all the normal resources to no avail. Based on the construction is was mold made with some hand finishings but the clay body is almost a dark metal color absent of a lot of hearty brown akin to Tokoname.
Sorry, no. Looks like a production-quality slip cast or mold cast pot. Nothing wrong with it, but doesn’t appear to be in the same range as the Yamafusa.

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm pretty sure the green is Yamafusa. (I posted after pulling up the thread and letting it sit for a bit. Didn't see the comments above that said the same thing.)

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My "cart" check's out at $2,208.84 for twelve pots....not bad!:oops: 🤕

Ha!!! ONE more reason I don't have plastic hanging around. And no, I most likely don't need twelve pots of this quality for my "stick brigade"!!

And I'm visualizing in my mind's eye, a similarly grand amount for truck repairs next week. 😣

But still, I suppose a debit card could be somewhat handy in an "emergency"...🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑 Patient needs Tokoname, stat!!🎅

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
No, not yet. I've got a blue spruce and a JBP in development that might look good at a show paired with this one, but it would be a "show only" pot due to the cracks.
I have rarely, actually maybe once seen a similar shape and quality pot for sale.

Great find. I appreciate your style and choice of pots.

Last edited:
Top Bottom