One of my favorite pots

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
That is going to be one heck of a report. Did the juniper fit?
That tree is currently getting grafted with shimpaku and won’t need to be repotted for at least another year or two. I’m sure The roots will fit but the tree is currently undergoing a total rebuild so who knows whether the future styling in the pot will jibe.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
My friend Ron Heinen made it. He’s a retired art & ceramics teacher, award-winning artist, and we have been torturing trees together for 25 years. Over the last year he has been making pots, all slab-built. A few have shown up on FB auctions. Really nice pots.
These three are his:
Here are some more of Ron's pots! This is the start of my collection. I'm credibly drawn to his work and am SO excited to get some trees in these babies!

Attachments

• IMG_1804.jpg
    IMG_1804.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1805.jpg
    IMG_1805.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1806.jpg
    IMG_1806.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1807.jpg
    IMG_1807.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1808.jpg
    IMG_1808.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1810.jpg
    IMG_1810.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1811.jpg
    IMG_1811.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 44

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wish more of these potters would list here on Bonsai nut.
There must be a reason they do not.
Thoughts?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Awesome work. Does he have a web site? I don't like facebook and don't use it.
Nope, he just likes to work on trees and make pots. His bonsai buddy (Scott Allen?) markets and sells them on Facebook so Ron doesn’t have to deal with that side of things. He doesn’t do commissions, so if you see something you like, grab it.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Facebook and Instagram have a larger audience, I suspect.
That's a shame, for me anyway
so if you see something you like, grab it.
I guess it just isn't going to happen then. Facebook and the other thing are not something I do. I am very old school. I even use cash.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Here are some more of Ron's pots! This is the start of my collection. I'm credibly drawn to his work and am SO excited to get some trees in these babies!
The bag pot is nice! I always enjoy that shape.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
That's a shame, for me anyway

I guess it just isn't going to happen then. Facebook and the other thing are not something I do. I am very old school. I even use cash.
I use my husband's FB account for the auctions. He is getting annoyed at all of the trees and pots showing up on his news feed though. If I buy something, I delete the messages real fast. 😇

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Senshu drum pot with feet on the Wan root stand. Kowatari era Chinese pot on the 2nd empire table, which has amazingly remained intact despite moving with us from Ma to Ga and then to MI.
View attachment 421295View attachment 421303View attachment 421304View attachment 421305View attachment 421306
Excellent containers.

Senshu is a favorite of mine.

The kowatari is a special pot.

Have you put a tree in either of these pots in the past or plan to in the future?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Excellent containers.

Senshu is a favorite of mine.

The kowatari is a special pot.

Have you put a tree in either of these pots in the past or plan to in the future?
No, I haven't actually used either, though, I think they both could be easily used with the right tree. I do have several JBP projects that could eventually end up in the Senshu, and one large JBP project that "might" make it into the Kowatari but will likely be too big, unfortunately. That tree is years away from a final pot but this one will be waiting when it's time.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Last edited:
Top Bottom