irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
What is the single most important bonsai idea you have learned by participating in Online Forums?
Mom

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
What is the single most important bonsai idea you have learned by participating in Online Forums?
Mom

Good question, no doubt this will become cannon fodder as well. But to answer your question I believe the most important thing I have learned is that there in no particular "one way" to do anything in bonsai.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
That Karl Marx was totally wrong in every thing he said,--save one thing: "No good deed goes unpunished."

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't mean to be snide or stir up trouble, but the lesson that continues to get driven home to me is that bonsai forums, while strangely addictive, are not at all good venues for learning a single thing of any depth or lasting value about bonsai. Some factual info of greater or lessor accuracy about horticultural issues seems to be the best the internet can offer, but even that is better offered in didactic venues such as species guides and tutorials, rather than discussion forums.

The addictive quality is the thing that fascinates me. I keep hoping I will lose my taste for this strange pasotiempo, but it hasn't happened yet.

grouper52

robert1955

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't mean to be snide or stir up trouble, but the lesson that continues to get driven home to me is that bonsai forums, while strangely addictive, are not at all good venues for learning a single thing of any depth or lasting value about bonsai. Some factual info of greater or lessor accuracy about horticultural issues seems to be the best the internet can offer, but even that is better offered in didactic venues such as species guides and tutorials, rather than discussion forums.

The addictive quality is the thing that fascinates me. I keep hoping I will lose my taste for this strange pasotiempo, but it hasn't happened yet.

grouper52

Wow-Dude I almost had to get my dictionary out.;)

Ashbarns

Mame
Reaction score
Firstly that I learned there was such a person as Walter Pall and from that gave me the realisation and appreciation that bonsai does not have to be as the Japanese laid it out for us. So now my options are wider and more flexible.

Ash

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That chat with picture posting abilities is really the most reliable way to discuss bonsai with a stranger. In chat you learn things about a person that may take years or never to learn on a forum. Discussion is real time and I can ask for clarification on any thought and get it in real time.

almost as good as being there.

Now If I can figure out how we can do a conferance call and all hook up web cams we might get some where.

Cheers, Al

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow-Dude I almost had to get my dictionary out.;)
It occurs to me that time spent reading the collected works of Jimi Hendrix is probably not likely to expand one's vocabulary, nor much of anything else, Dude. ;)

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Edit: I had diarrhea of the mouth. Terrible.

The single most important bonsai idea I've learned on the forums. Bonsai exists. :D I'd heard of it but like most I thought it was a certain kind of tree.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That chat with picture posting abilities is really the most reliable way to discuss bonsai with a stranger. In chat you learn things about a person that may take years or never to learn on a forum. Discussion is real time and I can ask for clarification on any thought and get it in real time.

almost as good as being there.

Now If I can figure out how we can do a conferance call and all hook up web cams we might get some where.

Cheers, Al

Remember bonsai cam over at BT? I don't know what technology he was using, I think it was still photos in real time but people had to post. I would think that with an investment in the proper technology, bonsai could be taught live over the web.

The problem is that there is one best way to teach bonsai and to learn bonsai. It's still one teacher, one student, and one tree (at a time).

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's what I have learned from Internet forums and chat rooms in general, and bonsai in specific:

We have to work much harder to keep what we post circumspect and precise, because much of what passes for posts would earn one a punch in the nose in person!

I have had my share of giving and receiving on that end. I have found that it diminishes me as a person to stoop to that level. I have been working very hard not to participate in it and to quash it when I see it. I don't do this out of some feeling of superiority, just out of the knowledge of a pitfall in the path and the desire to help others avoid it.

Written communication (in letters, books, etc.) has always required precision. To read a book and actually laugh out loud is a tribute to the author's humor and ability to communicate such in writing. To read a book or a letter and weep is a tribute to their ability to communicate a depth of feeling in a constricting atmosphere.

Email has gone a long way to ruining our ability to communicate clearly in writing, and text-messaging is going even further than that.

I was fortunate to grow up before the widespread use of computers, so I was forced to learn to write. Now if I can just make sure there is some substance there before I do, I will be well served.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Firstly that I learned there was such a person as Walter Pall and from that gave me the realisation and appreciation that bonsai does not have to be as the Japanese laid it out for us. So now my options are wider and more flexible.

Ash

That my friend is an epiphany. There are those who argue principles of design, metaphysics, and rules all over the board but people like Walter Pall have proven that many of those things we have thought graven in stone are not necessarily without exception; crimes against humanity. It is an eye opener when one discovers that you can slice a loaf of bread horizontally if there is a good reason to do so, and in many ways it is the Internet that has disseminated that information to a large number of bonsai growers.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I discovered that Vance Wood lived only a stones throw from me, although my blessing may well have been his curse. ;)

Will

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I discovered that Vance Wood lived only a stones throw from me, although my blessing may well have been his curse. ;)

Will

No curse, I have enjoyed the relationship, besides if that were not the case I have an ignore switch in my life that I can use effectively.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Vance, although I have found out that using the ignore switch often leads to drawing the very attention that you seeked to avoid, lol.

See you in a couple hours,

Will

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The beginning of freedom from the pain of being accused of being arrogant, pompous and a snob is to admit that you are arrogant, pompous and a snob and that you have gone to great efforts to become such and individual. After that there is nothing left to say--works for me and shuts up the detractors. It takes those that are close to you to know the truth.

Boondock

Shohin
Reaction score

Yahoo Instant Messenger (YIM) provides these features. Video and voice. A couple of months ago, a dozen people were regularly getting together on yahoo instant messenger and chatting. The best part of this, was being able to actually talk to people from other countries. At one time, we had people from 4 countries at the same time. Best part... it's free.

The idea of actually talking to people, rather than typing, allows you to hear and understand that these people you're interacting with, live far away. Oh, and another thing, Australians and Norwegians are very friendly people.

Top Bottom