Overwintering in a greenhouse?

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks for the heads up/reminder to check this thread.

To reply to this post, I will happily say that I’ve noticed good things in terms of early dormancy and protection.

I feel that having The trees on the ground and mulched in with wood chips, Has done a good job At regulating the rootball temps.
View attachment 527522View attachment 527525View attachment 527526View attachment 527524View attachment 527523
I’ve made sure that they were moist before freezing, and have watered them when warmer temps come around. The mulch gets watered as well at this time.

Currently, I’ve been keeping an eye out for anything starting to push.
We’ve had abnormally warm weather for the last three weeks, And so far so good!

55 degrees tomorrow! 🤨 February in Minnesota.
Thanks for the update.mI see you installed a solar powered fan, Nigel has at least one of those in his greenhouse in Canada but he also runs an electric heater and an electric fan off an extension cord. How did you eventually end up managing the temps during daytime? Do you leave the vents and door open? It also looks like you may have shade cloth on the roof. Since I am mainly interested in using a greenhouse for wintering over I plan to put it under some tall trees in the yard as a means of reducing the heat load. However to prevent freeze damage in late spring once trees bud out I do plan some form of space heater.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Thanks for the update.mI see you installed a solar powered fan, Nigel has at least one of those in his greenhouse in Canada but he also runs an electric heater and an electric fan off an extension cord. How did you eventually end up managing the temps during daytime? Do you leave the vents and door open? It also looks like you may have shade cloth on the roof. Since I am mainly interested in using a greenhouse for wintering over I plan to put it under some tall trees in the yard as a means of reducing the heat load. However to prevent freeze damage in late spring once trees bud out I do plan some form of space heater.
You know, I haven’t found midday temps to be an issue unless it’s going to be sunny all day. That said, here in Minnesota it’s USUALLY pretty dang cold.

I think the 50 gals. of water in here also helps. The more thermal mass the better.

We have recently had very warm weather, temps in the upper 50s.😬
I am a little concerned this year. But so far nothing has pushed.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
A shot in the greenhouse this evening.
More than happy with wintering in this greenhouse so far.
Zero deaths, but my ginkgo hasn’t started to leaf out. 🤔 maybe one death, we will see.

IMG_0951.jpeg

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looking like you really got a handle on the operation of the greenhouse!

FWIW my ginko is still barely pushing.

Cheers
DSD sends

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Looking like you really Ally got a handle on the operation of the greenhouse!

FWIW my ginko is still barely pushing.

Cheers
DSD sends
Thanks! And thanks again, the ginko seems flexible and alive. Maybe it’s fine.

Yeah, the greenhouse has proved to be a nice buffer and added protection. I don’t think it gets too hot for too long in the winter months to pull trees from dormancy. It’s usually pretty darn cold here.

So happy to have it. To be able to look at/ work on trees in the rain is wonderful.

Top Bottom