Am I overwintering or do I have a greenhouse?

Discussion in 'New to Bonsai' started by Culper Woodhull, Dec 22, 2016.

1. sorce

sorce Nonsense Rascal

I dig the tiles, but wonder if they are porcelain? Wouldn't want it to freeze break on you....

Or...

We had winds yesterday that would pick up that top, and smash it back down, possible sending shards of tile down upon your beautifully mossed juniper!

That moss really makes that juniper more enjoyable doesn't it!?

I like it!

Sorce

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this ad.
  3. Culper Woodhull

Culper Woodhull Yamadori

It is very heavy with that metal grate. I had to use my shoulders and arms to lift it. Wind can be pretty nasty though, good point. I'll look into tie downs from the inside somehow and keep a pocket knife in there to cut the tie downs in the event of an emergency. It is an egress window after all and would suck to be locked in. The tile is some type of stone, I don't know if that's better or worse. Maybe I can find something thick and made of rubber to cut into blocks. Yes, the moss is awesome! I ordered way too much though so I added some to the ornaments on my tropicals. I think I'll make a terrarium and use the rest in it.

sorce likes this.
  4. JudyB

JudyB Imperial Masterpiece

I think you should be fine with this setup, did you do a sunblock of any sort? That would be the one thing that I think would be pretty helpful here.

sorce likes this.
  5. Culper Woodhull

Culper Woodhull Yamadori

I have not yet. I finally got the thermometer set up, hanging from the grate. It reads 50 degrees and its currently 49 degrees outside. So I think I may have eliminated the potential greenhouse effect. Also, I didn't clean the clear top so it filters the sun a bit, but still allows my tree to get some sunlight. I'll have to monitor the temp as Winter gets colder.

sorce likes this.
  6. JudyB

As it looks to be a warming trend this winter in many places, you will want to do that sunblock sooner than later. Sun is the biggest heater... Dormant trees don't need any sunlight.

7. Culper Woodhull

Culper Woodhull Yamadori

I wasn't aware of this. Great info. I'll get a cover up, does it need to be total blackout? Suggestions on material?

8. Microscopic

Microscopic Shohin

A regular ol tarp will work. That's what I gotta do myself.

Culper Woodhull likes this.
  9. JudyB

just make sure you don't cover your ventilation areas. Light colors are better than dark colors. light colors bounce the light (and heat) and dark colors absorb and distribute the heat.

Culper Woodhull, M. Frary and sorce like this.