P. Strobus suggestions

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
If you would just bury that knot of roots, this tree is young enough that in a few years it could develop new roots above or coming from the top sides of those ugly roots. Leave those roots exposed much longer and they will never bud out new roots.

Never mind; it is probably too old, the roots have already formed too much bark to back bud new roots. It is an EWP in a few years you will be frustrated enough to put it on the burn pile.

Remember, as good as Vance Hanna's tree is, he has 45 years or more work into a tree that was 20 or 30 years old when he collected it.

Turning out a good EWP takes TIME. And skill.
Once again Leo, your right.😁
The nice thing is I’m not too concerned with it being a good tree. At this point I’m going for neagari/ ewp. Oddity. Lol.
I enjoy it’s messy character, and hardiness of its native environment.

Bonds Guy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Do you know how well they do with airlayering? If they can be layered, you could just ground layer it

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Do you know how well they do with airlayering? If they can be layered, you could just ground layer it
I don’t believe Pines air layer so well. Ground layering could be an option, but as Leo said, it’s pretty slim chances that it will root from the old wood. I’m learning to like the roots, and will encourage the gnarlyness.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No offense but from my perspective the roots went from bad to worse.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
No offense but from my perspective the roots went from bad to worse.
😂 yeah. The roots haven’t really done anything. I just unburied them. They can be covered again, like a bad case of psoriasis.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Jam a funky rock longways under them and do a legit root over rock. Make the flaw the main interest.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Jam a funky rock longways under them and do a legit root over rock. Make the flaw the main interest.
That’s a great idea! Thank you.
yeah, I was aiming to make the mess the best it can be. 🤣
My search for that rock begins!
I’m not unhappy with the progress of the chop and branches, but realize it’s got decade(s) to go.

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
There's a large weed that I'd toss !
But.....
The P. Strobus looks decent. However I'd untangle those roots now and pin them down on the surface cuz later they ain't gunna move a bit!
Let it grow....grow...and back bud.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
There's a large weed that I'd toss !
But.....
The P. Strobus looks decent. However I'd untangle those roots now and pin them down on the surface cuz later they ain't gunna move a bit!
Let it grow....grow...and back bud.
🤣 yeah that weed is about 3’ tall now. Out of control!
I’m really not confident that the triad of thick root can be moved. If the trunk could be girdled and new roots could form, well that would be nice. But also not likely? It’s been in the wood box for 2+ years now... I may see what kind of root surgery I can perform next spring.
Thank you Vance!

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Surgery can be successful on roots. Treat them like branche on the ground with wire. Possibly cut a notch in the angled (tangled) and carefully wire out a flat and radially as possible and cover with finer grade bonsai mix. Good luck!

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Surgery can be successful on roots. Treat them like branche on the ground with wire. Possibly cut a notch in the angled (tangled) and carefully wire out a flat and radially as possible and cover with finer grade bonsai mix. Good luck!
Thank you! I will attempt that for sure.

Is early spring still the recommended timing? I’ve been hearing a lot about fall being perhaps as good or better in my Midwest region. Not in a hurry either way.
thanks again.

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Fall might be optimal. I would think possibly mid-September as others are beginning to gain color in the leaves and this guy is thinking of shedding some old needles. I pull the three year needles for sure. Maybe a little more P in the fertilizer like some pot ash at that time…

I will admit it has been nearly 50 yrs as my son is 45 when I dug this guy in Benzie County Mi. As we had our 50th yesterday and I started this bonsai thing when we were just going together in San Jose, CA.
(By killing probably a dozen trees I realized I needed some information on this art…hah! ) but never got much better until I joined a bonsai club in ‘73 Four Seasons was a year or two and no one really knew much except : George Randall, who was a WW2 USAF navigator and as education, a soil geologist. He traveled all over the State of MI for the gov doing soil samples….( and later collecting yamadori.). The only other two were Dean Atkinson and Gordon Hoialman.
there was one other guy who helped me get a growing bed started and that was John Eichhoff who disappeared about a year later.
Two old coggers at the club were know it all’s who’d come back from Japan with big stories…as GI’s. But knew nothing.
I was the “kid” at the club !
We had John Naka as a guest demonstrator the year I joined….
I later met him again in LA about 15 yrs later at the big show at the aerospace facility ( I forgot the name) and gave him a bunjing pot I’d wheel thrown…)
Nuff said….

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The tree has potential yet I would consider improving the footage possibly by encouraging roots to fill in and round out .

Take a look at the Naka book on correcting rootage.

it might be possible to put a cut in the underside of those two roots that form the upside down U shape and flatten them out .
I would try that and bury them in a rough mix with the shingle Naka method.

it is a long term project so get more trees going so your not tempted to fool with it as it is developing those roots.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One not mentioned idea occurs: Keep tree in grow container, grow out sacrifice until basal roots fuse/make bigger trunk base. Still can develop lower branches in mean time☺️. Only patience required.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
The tree has potential yet I would consider improving the footage possibly by encouraging roots to fill in and round out .

Take a look at the Naka book on correcting rootage.

it might be possible to put a cut in the underside of those two roots that form the upside down U shape and flatten them out .
I would try that and bury them in a rough mix with the shingle Naka method.

it is a long term project so get more trees going so your not tempted to fool with it as it is developing those roots.
Do you recall what Naka book contains that info?
My internet searching isn’t leading me to it. 🧐. In bonsai techniques 1 or 2?
I may have to cough up 600-800$ for the set in paperback!🤣🤣

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
One not mentioned idea occurs: Keep tree in grow container, grow out sacrifice until basal roots fuse/make bigger trunk base. Still can develop lower branches in mean time☺️. Only patience required.
Yes! This was kind of what I was imagining. Like you stated though, I should probably let a sacrifice grow crazy for that thickening. Thank you.

Top Bottom