Pest? Help ID

evolve

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Found two of these on my spruce. They are very tiny bright green specs, about 0.5 mm in size, both were attached to needles by a very thin and rigid line. When I saw the first one I thought it was some sort of caterpillar / larva hanging from a silk webbing. I squished it. Then, I noticed the second which wasn't exactly hanging off the needle... more like floating off to the side. Upon closer inspection I could see that it was attached. It was quite a challenge to photograph, I had to break out the macro and tripod to mediocre results.

What1.jpg

Any ideas? Thanks

evolve

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Ok, think I figured this out after some further digging. It appears to be a Lacewing egg.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ok, think I figured this out after some further digging. It appears to be a Lacewing egg.

Good to know, thanks for sharing. For those who don't know, lacewings are your friends. A few years ago, I destroyed a mantis sack, not knowing what it was. Won't do that again.

evolve

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Not sure about Azaleas, but what I've read is that Lacewings prey on other pests -- mites, aphids, etc. From Wikipedia: "They are voracious predators, attacking most insects of suitable size, especially soft-bodied ones (aphids, caterpillars and other insect larvae, insect eggs, and at high population densities also each other)". My only concern if finding a large number of these eggs or evidence of Lacewings would be that it's likely a sign that these other pests are present.

gergwebber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good to know, thanks for sharing. For those who don't know, lacewings are your friends. A few years ago, I destroyed a mantis sack, not knowing what it was. Won't do that again.

one time I brought one inside for some reason and left it on the book self and about this time of year I found microscopic mantis' crawling all over my pratchet collection heres a pic:

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd190/askkawagoe/Bugs/Prayingmantisnest-1.jpg

Top Bottom