Pine Grafting Combinations

Sesame

Seed
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new to this forum and the world of grafting! I'm actually a Master's student working towards a degree in environmental science. I will be researching Pinyon pines, specifically P. edulis, and I am looking to practice grafting a bit on my college campus along with my research assistant. I am still becoming familiar with pines, and their grafting principles, so bear with me! :)
I am seeking to understand different combinations of scions and rootstocks that would be successful using the trees that are already on my campus. I'd probably be trying cleft grafts and side-veneer grafts. I am diligently searching through scientific literature to try and find some ideas of what possible combinations there are....so far, I understand grafting 2-needled scions onto 2-needled rootstocks, and 5's to 5's, but I've heard there are some exceptions that I'd like to explore. Obviously grafting between the same species is easiest, but I am looking for some ideas for between-species grafting as well. I am wondering if any of you have had any successful experience in grafting between some of these species listed below, that are found on my college campus? Any combination would be helpful--I am just trying to get an idea so I can begin practicing for my upcoming research!

Austrian pine--P. nigra
Scotch pine--P. sylvestris
Colorado pine--P. edulis
Bosnian red cone pine--P. leucodermis
Jeffrey pine--P. jeffreyi
Vanderwolf pine--P. flexilis 'Vanderwolf'

I look forward to becoming more active in this forum! Thanks everyone!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Obviously grafting between the same species is easiest

Seems like a pretty solid conclusion before the research.

Welcome to Crazy!

At least you've found the place that is actually trying to "open sesame" your mind! 😉

Sorce

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Japanese white pine is a 5 needle species and is routinely grafted onto 2 needle JBP roots stock so inter species grafts is definitely possible and grafting outside the needle family is also possible. I suspect that most pinus sp will be compatible.
I am currently using an unidentified 2 needle sp as root stock for my grafting JBP vars and JWP. No problems so far.
In the absence of more definite data I would just have a go with whatever you have available and see what happens.

D

Deleted member 32750

Welcome! Your research sounds exciting. Pinus parviflora or Japanese 5 needle pine is often grafted on pinus thumbergii rootstock for bonsai culture. And there are some professionals who are taking pinus ponderosa trunks and grafting pinus thumbergii scions or side veener grafts to slowly replace the ponderosa foliage with Japanese black pine foliage.

I don’t think I’ve heard of anyone experimenting with pinyon pine yet but I’m sure the principles are the same.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Grafting JBP onto Ponderosa appears to work well. JWP scions have a lower success rate, I think because the Ponderosa is so “sappy”. But, it can be done.

I have two Lodgepole trunks that are grafted with JWP branches.

Of course, grafting JWP onto JBP is common.

Top Bottom