Pine killer trend breaker?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So we are about 10 months further and the pine is quite happy.

In august I will trim out some branches that are unneeded for the final design, and reduce lanky branches in a hope of triggering backbudding. Heavy on the fertilizer from now on.

1622983351380.png

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Healthy, decent trunk, tangly mess. SUCCESS🤪.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Can you tell us how you went about the repot(s?) that veedub was so interested in earlier?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can you tell us how you went about the repot(s?) that veedub was so interested in earlier?
veedub?

mid-March 2020 I did a 2/3 repot. Some of the roots were so lumped together there was no subtle way besides a trim and pulling lumps of soil out. A few roots went down on one side, circled the bottom of the pot, to come to the surface on the other side; form a mat along the surface and dive down again on the other side of the pot! Clearly, a tree that has been neglected for a loooong time. When I took the plant out of the pot, the rootbal was completely white, and the outside was solid roots. So I kept some of the outer layer fluff, and cleaned out the rootbal on one side. All in all maybe 20% of the roots on one side were removed, going gently. Then replanted, putting the white fluff in clumps between the roots. I have had to shelter it for a few nights of a cold spell. It has been sitting out in the sun ever since.

So there is still a reasonable part of original material in the rootball. I will get that next time. I think 2022 will focus on a first styling and more grafting. Only 1 of the grafts took, unfortunately. But as mentioned before.. It is a good tree to get some more grafting experience!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking healthy today..
1688326177056.png
There are a few approach grafts in place. But I am still hoping for good backbudding. So lots of fertilizer was given this year. And today.. OFF with its Heads!
1688326227580.png

Top Bottom