Pine styled opinions

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
First tree i fully wore and restyle so be gentle :)

This tree was styled before but I never liked the extensive canopy over the slender trunk. Had 3 options :
Chop to lower branch which would be the last option.
Literati which I'll.head towards if this design doesn't work, I'll just bend a beach stronger to the base and take out the 2 lower branches once it looks nice
3 option guided bynthemis virt from @leatherback which I tried to follow as much as tree allowed
Screenshot_20201107-102449_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20201107-102403_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20201107-103025_Gallery.jpg
And from above
Screenshot_20201107-103101_Gallery.jpg

Main points I dot believe work is the empty space on left of the tree , the long trunk seems to visible also so maybe need a branch coming a bit to the front .
I pulled a branch from top to fill the dead space but still not there I feel.

Do u feel this design can work as tree fills up and grows ? Or should I start thinking of going literati which will affect pot choice as I plan to repot in Feb.
Realise many mistakes in placing the wire and couple.cross wires. I can take them.out and improve them but guess I'll damage the tree more with a se one run of wire.
Thanks for any suggestions

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What I see are “splayed out” branches. Looking at the secondary branches, they tend to come off the primary branch at a 90 degree angle. It would be better if you tightened up the angle to 45 or 60 degrees.

See this diagram:

Before:

FE423651-ECFF-4050-8272-483059E1014C.jpeg

After:A7727841-B3FA-430A-8A0A-BDAB0340A1E0.jpeg

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Not too bad for your first time. Keep practicing!

Look at the angles that the branches emerge from the trunk. Those need some tweaking next time.

Also look at the angle of the wire on your branches. At some points it’s pretty good, other branches the angle is not. It should be mostly consistent on every branch.

Try putting more movement into the branches.

Hope this helps!

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Not too bad for your first time. Keep practicing!

Look at the angles that the branches emerge from the trunk. Those need some tweaking next time.

Also look at the angle of the wire on your branches. At some points it’s pretty good, other branches the angle is not. It should be mostly consistent on every branch.

Try putting more movement into the branches.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, realize the wiring need to improve in angles on the branches not being repetitive and also in better wire layout as few of the wires didn't turn out very functional as well as some branch configuration I need to approach somehow differently.
Can u please elaborate on the angle that the branches emerge from the trunk? Whats exactly wrong there and how i should improve them ?
Thanks

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Possibly cut trunk above second branch and develop from there?

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks, realize the wiring need to improve in angles on the branches not being repetitive and also in better wire layout as few of the wires didn't turn out very functional as well as some branch configuration I need to approach somehow differently.
Can u please elaborate on the angle that the branches emerge from the trunk? Whats exactly wrong there and how i should improve them ?
Thanks

Yes! The angle that branches emerge from the trunk, in my humble opinion, is one of the most important stylistic decisions that tells the story of the tree.

I tend to style deciduous trees to have branches that emerge up, out, and up again before perhaps coming back down (to show the “weight” of the branch).

Conversely, I tend to style conifers with branches that emerge down, then out. This can suggest anything from snow load to the natural growth habit of a particular species. These are not hard and fast rules, but guidelines that can be followed or not.

For your pine, I would recommend the latter. In the virt you posted, the branches come down (or are at least more flat) than they are in your finished design. Maybe try to aim for this:

13FE87E3-AFD2-4F35-B089-C337E132D56B.jpeg

Be very careful - pines definitely have a tendency to tear at the shoulder (where the branch meets the trunk). You’ve got to keep an eye on that while you’re bending and stop when you see it JUST BARELY start to tear.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation. Will modify accordingly. Kept the low one a bit higher to fill the space a bit more, but come to think of it makes sense to have the low branch follow the same overall aspect of the other branches.

Top Bottom