Pinyon pines

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One thing not mentioned: Once sap starts to move hard Spring freeze can be deadly. Perhaps 8(?) years past this happened here. It seemed most everyone in club lost trees. As personally remembered I lost 8 trees from Magnolia to Pine. Prized Apple Literati just about to flower just dried up dead to roots😢.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Pinyon is becoming one of my favorite pine species for bonsai. Short needles, beautiful blueish needle color, backbuds generously, gnarly bark. It is a great species IMO.

MMJNICE

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I suppose it matter what species of pinyon pines you are talking about. I first took notice of pinyon pines while rock climbing at Joshua Tree (Mojave and Colorado deserts). The Pinyon species there of course being Pinus monophylla (single needle). Winters there are relatively warm still but it does snow at higher elevations? The pines are found maybe 4000 feet lower than your place. I'm growing some out here in San Diego (where there is no winter to speak of) along with a Muller Oak (Quercus cornelius-mulleri) and so far so good (fingers crossed)...
I have property in Colorado but live in Ohio.. When I make my last payment on my Colorado property im taking a trip out there to collect some pinyons on my own land. I wasn't interested in bonsai when I bought the property so I've been scouring my videos too see if I happen to get a glimpse just in passing something interesting. I noticed a few that had potential.
I've been lusting after oak trees as of late.. I always have my eye on some species that I haven't worked with yet. I'm looking for the deciduous kinda oak tree tho but ive taken a little peek at the evergreen types and definitely would not turn one down. Found one that already been trunk chopped by a bonsai buddy of mine.. didn't do I good job unfortunately tho hasn't back budded yet the top was dead already before the chop and the one live branch was supposed to start a new trunk line..

Top Bottom