PIT-EKA Suiseki and Daiza #1

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
2x4 construction, that thing will last through HER kids! Looking good.

I totally understand this. Take your time.
We bought my daughter a new memory foam mattress that was 10" thick. Most all of the loft beds you can buy online are made for 6" mattresses, with only a hand full made for 8". For her safety I convinced my wife to make a custom loft bed for her 10" mattress. To keep costs down I opted to go with 2x4's, 2x6's, and 1x3's. I just planed them down with my planer to 4S4 and they'll be painted white in the end. Typically I would have made this out of hardwood. But I don't anticipate her her using this forever nor did I have the intentions of pass this down to future generations.....just something that will work for her needs now.

I also want to make a batch of stands this year......I have to find time for that as well. I'll post a pic of the finished loft bed if you're curious to see the end results.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
We bought my daughter a new memory foam mattress that was 10" thick. Most all of the loft beds you can buy online are made for 6" mattresses, with only a hand full made for 8". For her safety I convinced my wife to make a custom loft bed for her 10" mattress. To keep costs down I opted to go with 2x4's, 2x6's, and 1x3's. I just planed them down with my planer to 4S4 and they'll be painted white in the end. Typically I would have made this out of hardwood. But I don't anticipate her her using this forever nor did I have the intentions of pass this down to future generations.....just something that will work for her needs now.

I also want to make a batch of stands this year......I have to find time for that as well. I'll post a pic of the finished loft bed if you're curious to see the end results.
I am curious, if you don't mind.
My dad made a bunk bed for my little brother and me when we were kids, of similar construction. It withstood everything two little boys could throw at it until the slats started to give way. Then we got a steel tube one, and my dad used the wood to build a workbench that went on another 10 years.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I am curious, if you don't mind.
My dad made a bunk bed for my little brother and me when we were kids, of similar construction. It withstood everything two little boys could throw at it until the slats started to give way. Then we got a steel tube one, and my dad used the wood to build a workbench that went on another 10 years.
Almost done, need to finish the desk portion below.

20220805_170303.jpg

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Almost done, need to finish the desk portion below.

View attachment 450386
That is NICE.
Everything I build looks hacknied and rickety. I suppose it would help if I sat down to draw up real plans for any of it, but I'm generally working with scrap wood on something for outdoor abuse, so doesn't seem worthwhile.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That is NICE.
Everything I build looks hacknied and rickety. I suppose it would help if I sat down to draw up real plans for any of it, but I'm generally working with scrap wood on something for outdoor abuse, so doesn't seem worthwhile.
Thanks! If I was making it to be heirloom material I would have made it with hardwood so it could last.

Plans are must, it saves you time in the long run. It gives you an idea of what you are getting yourself into before you start.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks! If I was making it to be heirloom material I would have made it with hardwood so it could last.

Plans are must, it saves you time in the long run. It gives you an idea of what you are getting yourself into before you start.
That's what I've learned, just, like I said, often building with scrap materials, so I never know what I have to work with until I dig through the pile.
It's usually a patch for the fence, or hutch for the chicken coop, or the like, so nothing that needs to look pretty, but I went to use some outside cut, bark on lumber from a fence that blew down to build a bench and THAT didn't go so smoothly. 🙄

Top Bottom