Possible to have a forest where trees are technically the same age? (Trident Maples)

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have about 15 condescending people on Ignore, so I'm missing most of what is going on here. Actually, I know every word because the tone of these sorts of things is always the same, and the words are repeated, over and over. "When you've read as much, and done as much, and know as many people as me, then you'll grovel at my great wisdom and follow my advice."

If you want to have an intellectual exchange, you have to pick and choose with whom you are willing to speak.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I understand what you are saying but if you have 15 people on ignore, you have a problem. It is rather like burying your head in the sand.
You can ignor me if you wish, but I think you have something to say and I am not likely to ignore you in spite of your bias.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
...and back to our regular scheduled program.
I have this batch of Sycamore growing together for a future river bank scene. I love the winter white bark lining the rivers here. I also have another in a seperate pot which the roots escaped and doubled in size.
IMG_20191028_182601644.jpg
I think the OP who is new had enough bickering and bailed on this thread. Can't blame him.

Last edited:

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have this batch of Sycamore growing together for a future river bank scene. I love the winter white bark lining the rivers here. I also have another in a seperate pot which the roots escaped and doubled in size.
View attachment 279980
I think the OP who is new had enough bickering and bailed on this thread. Can't blame him.
Sycamore? Aspen?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I understand what you are saying but if you have 15 people on ignore, you have a problem. It is rather like burying your head in the sand.
You can ignor me if you wish, but I think you have something to say and I am not likely to ignore you in spite of your bias.
Lol, if you have a problem with what 15 peoplpe are saying, perhaps it its time to look in the mirror and wonder.. am I the problem?
Not that read this. I guess you have me on ignore too. WIth my 6ft4 I cannot do anything but look down on most people lol

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 279980
Are you planning on growing the future display like this? Or will you add variation in the spacing?

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are you planning on growing the future display like this? Or will you add variation in the spacing?
Oh I hope to move them around a bit. I was just getting the root ball as close together as I could. Looks like a row of corn, I know. Just wanted to post something relevant to keep the thread on track:)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi everyone, I am still following the thread. I just didn't want to jump back in during the name calling and arguing.
Despite all that, many of you have posted some great food for thought as well as great examples of different kinds of forests. It's given me a ton of inspiration for future forests of my own.

Keep the good stuff coming.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi all,
Great thread for the ones who wish to learn stuff from this, not the “I have a bigger stick than you” BS.
Here is my beginner forest constructed 6 months ago. It has some growing to do as 2-3 year old seedlings. I am looking for a bigger mother tree too. NZ native beech FYI.
A3FC3C4A-FD7A-4376-9119-94A2836A242F.jpeg
9D34E809-E406-4999-9F18-4B25104D5E52.jpeg
Charles

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
In response to the original question (amongst all the other evidence already posted)... I say ”yes”...
I started a trident forest with the above seedlings in 2017...
here they are 2 years later (July 2019)...
I added a few extra, moved some, replaced others and rotated the “group” on the left at a subsequent repot so things changed a little, but I think you get the idea. I guarantee it won’t look like this in 10 years... it already looks different to this photo and it was only 6 months ago!!
🍺

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
In response to the original question (amongst all the other evidence already posted)... I say ”yes”...
View attachment 280080
View attachment 280081
I added a few extra, moved some, replaced others and rotated the “group” on the left at a subsequent repot so things changed a little, but I think you get the idea. I guarantee it won’t look like this in 10 years... it already looks different to this photo and it was only 6 months ago!!
🍺
Very nice, I really like the mounding you've created.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
IMG_2779.jpg

This is the only pic I have handy of my Amur maple group, unfortunately. These were all matchstick to pencil thickness and roughly the same age (all about a year or two old) when I planted them about 20 years ago. They all came in the same bundle I got from Bill Valavanis. They retained the relative sizes as they grew (the smaller ones remained smaller relative to the thicker).

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi all,
Great thread for the ones who wish to learn stuff from this, not the “I have a bigger stick than you” BS.
Here is my beginner forest constructed 6 months ago. It has some growing to do as 2-3 year old seedlings. I am looking for a bigger mother tree too. NZ native beech FYI.
View attachment 280075
View attachment 280076
Charles
I’m sorry, but I’m not seeing a well designed forest. I see trees planted about 6 inches apart from each other, all the same height and about all the same caliper. If the intent is they’re in there to “grow out” for a while, and you’ll dig them up later and arrange them into a forest, then all is well.

But if this is going to be the final arrangement, it doesn’t work for me.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi all,
View attachment 280075
View attachment 280076
Charles

I like the idea of building a support system or scaffolding to help keep the trees in place. That's something I may have to borrow next time I put one of these together. In the past I've run lots of wires up from below and even tried building an underground grid once, but it was still tricky to keep the trees where I wanted them especially when the root systems are small.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
View attachment 280080
View attachment 280081
🍺
I'm curious what size pot this is in. I get the feeling that it looks much bigger than it is. You've done a really good job at creating depth, without the wire it's sitting on for scale it honestly looks like a much bigger forest.

Any pictures of it with foliage?

Ryceman3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'm curious what size pot this is in. I get the feeling that it looks much bigger than it is. You've done a really good job at creating depth, without the wire it's sitting on for scale it honestly looks like a much bigger forest.

Any pictures of it with foliage?
Thanks for your feedback!
The pot is a shallow oval about 45cms X 30cms (17.5" X 12") ... nothing fancy but I like it.
I only have "work in progress" photos of it in leaf. I got thickness in the trunks I wanted to thicken by letting them grow out and then cut back - not rocket science really, just requires some patience. The others I trim more regularly to keep them in check and get slower development in trunk size. This technique seems to work and help create the variation in girth I am looking for, but it also means that your trees look kinda crap while they are developing.
This first shot was when I wanted overall trunk thickness so I let them all go as nuts as they wanted ...

And this one below was taken this morning after I trimmed it back in areas - you can also see where I left other parts to grow so I get more thickening ...

Top Bottom