Possible to have a forest where trees are technically the same age? (Trident Maples)

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Interesting "solution". Not my site, though.

I wouldn't call it a solution so much as an expedient. I am going to go through and manually remove the quotes of the quotes of the quotes... but it takes some time. Instead of the snarky response, I would hope for some understanding instead of condemnation. If you aren't part of the solution...

HallieReusch

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes. The original post was edited by either the site owner (Bonsai Nut) or sorce to remove the offending section but it persists in the subsequent posts where it was quoted.

Interesting "solution". Not my site, though.

Mmm that'd be a shame.

Despite all the drama I've learned a ton from this thread. Just throwing that out there! ;)

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't call it a solution so much as an expedient. I am going to go through and manually remove the quotes of the quotes of the quotes... but it takes some time. Instead of the snarky response, I would hope for some understanding instead of condemnation. If you aren't part of the solution...
Oh, so I'm not allowed a little snark? Especially since I've been a target of sorce abuse recently myself?

If all you're doing is removing evidence of the bad behavior, that's not really going to be a long term solution. Hopefully you're dealing with this in a more substantial manner.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Mmm that'd be a shame.

Despite all the drama I've learned a ton from this thread. Just throwing that out there! ;)

I am in the process of removing some swear words :) Aside from that, the content will remain. I don't disagree with the discussion, but the discussion devolved into name-calling and empty posturing... which does nothing to advance your point and just annoys everyone.

Seek more to understand... and less to be understood.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Oh, so I'm not allowed a little snark? Especially since I've been a target of sorce abuse recently myself?

You're a "target" of Internet "abuse"? Give me a break.

I don't want to see you go but seriously... this is a gardening web site with 16,000 members. If you don't like ONE of those members, put them on ignore and move on.

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
How is Judy not an admin on this site?

Probably because for most it isn't a reward... it's a penalty.

@sorce is a moderator because I trust him. And there is only one "admin"... and it's me and always will be :)

watchndsky

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hopefully... North Carolina. You will recognize my house because it will be encircled by the billions of Japanese maples I have been unable to keep in SoCal the last 24 years :)

good luck with the move - youve got an open invitation to visit if you wind up down here with all us country bumpkins.

and those maples will do very well down here.

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Last spring I started about 100 Acer rubrums in the ground and about 50 in some flats. They are all different sizes from 2 inches to 2 feet. I'm going to make some group forest bonsais and mix some stuff up.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@sorce is a moderator because I trust him.
+1 from me.

We're all human man. Sometimes we say things out of line. From the four years I've been here, I find Scorce to be one of the good guys with big heart. Sure he might get a bit discombobulated during the waning moon. Or was that waxing moon? Maybe full moon? 🤔 :p But dude is an all around gentleman from what can tell.

Please don't, censorship is for 5 year olds.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You're a "target" of Internet "abuse"? Give me a break.

I don't want to see you go but seriously... this is a gardening web site with 14,000 members. If you don't like ONE of those members, put them on ignore and move on.
So that's how it's gonna be, huh? It's acceptable for a site moderator to call members [EDITED to remove the language that @coh is complaining about - oh, the irony!] and idiots and whatever else? When that moderator member has no bonsai accomplishments to speak of?

Good to know.

Last edited by a moderator:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hopefully... North Carolina. You will recognize my house because it will be encircled by the billions of Japanese maples I have been unable to keep in SoCal the last 24 years :)
Good luck with your move, congrats to you. Welcome to the other side.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
North Carolina has an active bonsai scene. Nothing like California, but there’s good people and good shows there.

If you have a lot of California junipers, those you might think twice about. Sierras, Rockys, westerns, and Utah’s will “do ok”. But California’s will slowly decline. We simply get too much rain.

If the California’s have shimpaku foliage grafted on, you have a better chance. And if there are root grafts, then you have no worries at all.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So that's how it's gonna be, huh? It's acceptable for a site moderator to call members "XXXX" and idiots and whatever else? When that moderator member has no bonsai accomplishments to speak of?

Good to know.

I think it is a personal discussion between @sorce and @Adair M . I have respect for both individuals, would happily buy them a beer, and would gladly sit down and argue about forest design any day of the week. I think the discussion on this thread got a little heated, which given the Internet, happens sometimes. However I also know that some people spend way too much time being offended... instead of willing to forgive an offense.

Let it go.

Last edited:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think it is a personal discussion between @sorce and @Adair M . I have respect for both individuals, would happily buy them a beer, and would gladly sit down and argue about forest design any day of the week. I think the discussion on this thread got a little heated, which given the Internet, happens sometimes. However I also know that some people spend way too much time being offended... instead of willing to forgive an offense.

Let it go.
You know, I’d LIKE to let it go. I HAVE let it go with Sorce. Many times. He often says ignorant things, and I’ve given him a pass.

But I’m tired of it.

BonsaiNut, I’m sorry, but you going in and deleting his crass insults only protects and empowers him. He should be banned for a month!

On this thread, he starts on me at post #18, saying this is “the lazy way” to create a forest. And goes on and on about how terrible lazy Americans are... and how we should strive to do better.

THAT’s why I stated that the forests I posted were created by Bill V. Who is in the Bonsai Hall of Fame! And he’s the most “unlazy” person I know!

I mean, Sorce is clueless! The guy has no respect for anyone. Back in his early days here, he was pretty humorous. I just to laugh at his posts and tell him that I didn’t understand any of what he was trying to say. (Yes, I DID strive to understand!). But now that he’s been made a “moderator”, he acts like he’s in charge! Some time ago, he got into it with with someone else, who said they were going to “report him”. Sorce countered by laughing and saying, something to the effect, “report me??? Who do you think you’re reporting me to? I’m the one who reviews that stuff!”

There you have it.

I’ve said my piece. I’m done.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you're in N.C. ya gotta come up to D.C. and the Arb. I'll show ya around!

HallieReusch

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You know, I’d LIKE to let it go. I HAVE let it go with Sorce. Many times. He often says ignorant things, and I’ve given him a pass.

But I’m tired of it.

BonsaiNut, I’m sorry, but you going in and deleting his crass insults only protects and empowers him. He should be banned for a month!

On this thread, he starts on me at post #18, saying this is “the lazy way” to create a forest. And goes on and on about how terrible lazy Americans are... and how we should strive to do better.

THAT’s why I stated that the forests I posted were created by Bill V. Who is in the Bonsai Hall of Fame! And he’s the most “unlazy” person I know!

I mean, Sorce is clueless! The guy has no respect for anyone. Back in his early days here, he was pretty humorous. I just to laugh at his posts and tell him that I didn’t understand any of what he was trying to say. (Yes, I DID strive to understand!). But now that he’s been made a “moderator”, he acts like he’s in charge! Some time ago, he got into it with with someone else, who said they were going to “report him”. Sorce countered by laughing and saying, something to the effect, “report me??? Who do you think you’re reporting me to? I’m the one who reviews that stuff!”

There you have it.

I’ve said my piece. I’m done.

For what it's worth... I'm new here and I have formed no allegiances. Maybe my perspective will help.

In my opinion, @sorce's original comment in post #18 has been grossly misinterpreted. To me, it's an observation about how different cultural traits manifest themselves in bonsai form. Like it or not, Americans are perceived as being lazy. It only makes sense that this trait is sometimes reflected in art. Doesn't seem like a personal attack to me. Just a rather thoughtful observation. Am I missing something?

I think we can all agree the name-calling is inexcusable, but there's clearly more going on here.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For what it's worth... I'm new here and I have formed no allegiances. Maybe my perspective will help.

In my opinion, @sorce's original comment in post #18 has been grossly misinterpreted. To me, it's an observation about how different cultural traits manifest themselves in bonsai form. Like it or not, Americans are perceived as being lazy. It only makes sense that this trait is sometimes reflected in art. Doesn't seem like a personal attack to me. Just a rather thoughtful observation. Am I missing something?

I think we can all agree the name-calling is inexcusable, but there's clearly more going on here.
Well, stereotypes are never a good thing. Perpetuating them is, well, lazy in itself. It's an easy answer that does no one any good.
Post number 18 is woefully misinformed and based on limited experience, IMO. If you look at the forests posted in POST 17, you'd see that, unless you've not got any real experience with how they are developed.

Top Bottom