Possible to have a forest where trees are technically the same age? (Trident Maples)

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Since there are some group planting experts out here..
I'd like to plant two chestnuts together in a large bowl and have the two grow exactly the same size; no bigger brother, no father and son, no parent and offspring, just copies with different flower colors. But they're a different species; aesculus hippocastanum (flowers white) and aesculus x carnea (pink/red flowers).
Not because it'll be a good bonsai, simply because it's a sentimental thing. I don't curr about foliage size.

Has anyone ever seen any chestnut used as a group or forest?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Since there are some group planting experts out here..
I'd like to plant two chestnuts together in a large bowl and have the two grow exactly the same size; no bigger brother, no father and son, no parent and offspring, just copies with different flower colors. But they're a different species; aesculus hippocastanum (flowers white) and aesculus x carnea (pink/red flowers).
Not because it'll be a good bonsai, simply because it's a sentimental thing. I don't curr about foliage size.

Has anyone ever seen any chestnut used as a group or forest?
I haven't seen Aesculus (horse chestnut) used as anything other than a single tree. But the idea sounds attractive. The large compound leaves are a potential issue. You should make the attempt.

True chestnuts and chinquapins, genus Castanea, also have big leaves, though their leaves are simple rather than compound. Most species of Castanea have issues with chestnut blight, though blight usually does not infect trees until they are over 3 meters tall . As bonsai they might get ignored by the principal insect vectors of the blight. Only Chinese chestnut, Castanea mollissima is immune to the blight. This is the commercial culinary chestnut available these days.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I haven't seen Aesculus (horse chestnut) used as anything other than a single tree. But the idea sounds attractive. The large compound leaves are a potential issue. You should make the attempt.

True chestnuts and chinquapins, genus Castanea, also have big leaves, though their leaves are simple rather than compound. Most species of Castanea have issues with chestnut blight, though blight usually does not infect trees until they are over 3 meters tall . As bonsai they might get ignored by the principal insect vectors of the blight. Only Chinese chestnut, Castanea mollissima is immune to the blight. This is the commercial culinary chestnut available these days.
I'm making the attempt. Three years and counting.

We have true chestnuts, the edible variety, here because the Romans brought them on their conquest of Northern Europe.
Here's the oldest castanea within our borders: https://bomenbieb.nl/bijzondere-bomen/kabouterboom-beek/

Top Bottom