Post em' Up! Non-Coniferous Yamadori in the Americas

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I've had really good success with the honeysuckle. I collected in late winter before the wake up and simply dig out a root ball with a sharp shovel, clean off most of the native soil and plant them in bonsai mix,

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
May I ask how you collect honeysuckle? I had quite a few lined up to be collected but they leafed out before I could get them.
From what I hear, honeysuckle is pretty aggressive. You would probably be okay to collect it even after it leafs out. However, I have never collected any so let someone with experience chime in.

EDIT: Like PaulH :)

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
May I ask how you collect honeysuckle? I had quite a few lined up to be collected but they leafed out before I could get them.
Dig them up any way, just make sure you evenly reduce the top of the tree down to take some of the burden off he roots.

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I envy some of you in this thread. Aside from oak, which I've never gotten permission to collect, and tamarisk, which I've not found a good one of yet, I'm not sure what non-coniferous yamadori material is available in my area.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Well looks like I am collecting some homeysuckle tomorrow, thanks Vance Vin, Underdog, and Paul!

I dug one up a few days ago but it had almost no roots at all until a few feet away. We will see

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Went for a walk today(mushroom hunting) and saw a patch of Winged Elm for the first time. (pics sucked) Also a potential American Elm(2-4 pics) and a Maple I believe. No leaves yet. Both are over rock. The Maple has only 3-5 roots near the bottom of frame attached under the rock. (First Pic) The winged elms are so ugly they are beautiful. Wish the pics were better. I'll have one...
Days like today (not January) make me appreciate where I live. No Morels, but a great day in the woods.

Attachments

• IMG_20160331_144150526.jpg
    IMG_20160331_144150526.jpg
    586.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20160331_142144471.jpg
    IMG_20160331_142144471.jpg
    543.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20160331_142159685.jpg
    IMG_20160331_142159685.jpg
    614.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20160331_142918292.jpg
    IMG_20160331_142918292.jpg
    585.8 KB · Views: 41

Borg

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9/8
If the weather permits. I will snap a few photos of the trees I've collected over the dormant season..... I don't have any true bonsai soil yet, so I'm letting them stay in pots of sand, perlite, and topsoil that I mixed up... My red maple has some amazing movement, and is starting to push some buds. I was begining to fear I killed it with the hard chop.

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The above statement, is the original concept of principle set forth by Bunjeh: My reply after waiting for a response. Before you can uncover the legendary true Yamadori I believe it is first necessary to define exactly what that is. So-----What is a true Yamidore?

In my experience on the forum for very many years I have found that many of the most condescending, and arrogant statements, like that above, come from people that are literally legends in their own minds. They read a few books, watch some INTERNET videos, smoke a doobie and dream about how wonderful their personal vision of bonsai is.

They then feel it necessary to post information telling us how off track our vision of bonsai is. Finding themselves unable to post images of their own trees because, they do not exist except in their own minds they suggest they have many. Knowing that what they believe feels right and therefore, must be true, they speak their minds not realizing they are more akin to a fart in a crowded elevator, than a voice from on high declaring the truth of a bonsai god. Therefore we get the following, posted as though we mere mortals are unworthy of viewing this amazing display of bonsai creations.

I will not be posting. I have numerous collected non-coniferous trees, I have yet to uncover true "Yamadori". Bunjeh
That the is the most condescending and arrogant rant I have ever heard. When I posted that originally, I was refering to my own experience. At that time I had yet to collect anything that I felt compared to the great examples that I have seen from the likes of some of the pros on this site, yourself included. Sad, I used to respect and admire your work. However, now I realize you are nothing more than a self-agrandizing prick.

So go shove your "Yamadori" up your ass. I bet it will develop a great root structure considering all the fertilizer packed up there. Bitch!

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You're right.
If you have no ability to discern context from a blog posting, best to err on the side of humility. Your inappropriate and inaccurate judgement is the reason why so many people join this site and immediately lose interest. In the future, ask before assuming.

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
If you have no ability to discern context from a blog posting, best to err on the side of humility. Your inappropriate and inaccurate judgement is the reason why so many people join this site and immediately lose interest. In the future, ask before assuming.
I feel you there ...need to pull the reins. I almost left the site but I know how old men are and I'm not going to let that bother me. I feel he does this often and no disrespect to anyone , this is why we post , to speak our minds . Think or ask before post. Sorry we haven't all been doing bonsai for 50 years. ...If that is in fact what you meant bunjeh

Last edited:

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a

To be fair, that was far from the worst thing Vance has ever posted...

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I did ask and you ignored the request, so I was left to assume that you were just another in a long line of all smoke no fire bonsai masters. Sorry I was wrong.

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I did ask and you ignored the request, so I was left to assume that you were just another in a long line of all smoke no fire bonsai masters. Sorry I was wrong.
I never saw the request. Nuff said. Let's move on.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just collected.
Sheperdia, aka buffaloberry, a nice shrub, tiny yellow flowers and lots of small red edible berries. Berries are high in Saponin, can make a frothy shake like drink, ok with lots of sugar but really bitter. Could be used as a wetting agent or soap as well.
Anyway, hopefully this will do alright. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just collected.
Sheperdia, aka buffaloberry, a nice shrub, tiny yellow flowers and lots of small red edible berries. Berries are high in Saponin, can make a frothy shake like drink, ok with lots of sugar but really bitter. Could be used as a wetting agent or soap as well.
Anyway, hopefully this will do alright. View attachment 99736View attachment 99737View attachment 99738
SUPER COOL!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I never saw the request. Nuff said. Let's move on.
You're the one who hammered this subject with an ugly stick. In the beginning you came off just as I described it when you did not respond to my question: A legend in your own mind. We get a lot of those, my problem is that I care.

Top Bottom