potentials for collection?

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Collected this guy today. .. 90% sure it's and apple...
#1 picture tree before dig

#2 picture the roots after cleaning and I cut off the big ass taproot it had... not sure why any one would use a hand saw... chainsaw is the way to go :)

And #3 tree in pot.

In not sure it I should leave all 3 trunks or chop one off and if so what one. And tips on this or should I just leave it alone and see how it looks later on?

Attachments

• 20160416_143052.jpg
    20160416_143052.jpg
    563.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 20160416_150944.jpg
    20160416_150944.jpg
    531.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 20160416_152228.jpg
    20160416_152228.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 59

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice Bark!

Sorce

coppice

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
Larch grow in ditches in Maine, and often have been top-pruned by town road crews. I think your sights are set too high.

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why yes it did have thorns... thanks for the correction.
Larch grow in ditches in Maine, and often have been top-pruned by town road crews. I think your sights are set too high.
I would dig up some larch but I can't figure out what they look like when young. Need to have some one show me.

coppice

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
Tamarack (Larch) have the soft needles in spring. And golden ones in fall.

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tamarack (Larch) have the soft needles in spring. And golden ones in fall.
Ya I can pick out the adults np it's just the little ones I'm having a hard time with..
But ones I find a few or have some one point it right out to me I'll have one problem after that.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nwaite you could go looking for some nice Larch this fall and tag for collection next spring if you are having a hard time finding them.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll take some pictures of young ones when I go out next weekend.

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nwaite you could go looking for some nice Larch this fall and tag for collection next spring if you are having a hard time finding them.
That's a good idea thanks. They do pop out a bit more in the fall ..
I'll take some pictures of young ones when I go out next weekend.
That would be great thank thank you!

coppice

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
It is distinctive as it buds in the spring. Needles are baby's ass soft.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

I believe Nick Lenz recommends fall collection of larch. I'll check in his book tonight. If you don't have a copy you should get one. I think it is around $20 from Stonelantern. It is well worth the price. He has a lot of good information on collecting in the North East.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes Nick recommends fall collection in areas that are cold enough to have frozen ground during spring collection. I have had success with both spring and fall collection but mostly spring. Another way to spot small Larch is to look for big Larch :). They are usually around the same area.

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Got another Hawthorne this evening.

I'm just trimming the largest roots back enough to go in to the pot... should I just hack them off flat / <-- like that or cut the hole bottom kinda flat like ___ like that?

I put rooting hormone around it to.

Attachments

• 20160419_183944.jpg
    20160419_183944.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 20160419_185314.jpg
    20160419_185314.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 20160419_185353.jpg
    20160419_185353.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 20160419_185339.jpg
    20160419_185339.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 39

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Got another Hawthorne this evening.

I'm just trimming the largest roots back enough to go in to the pot... should I just hack them off flat / <-- like that or cut the hole bottom kinda flat like ___ like that?

I put rooting hormone around it to.
If you haven't done it already pot it up man. I would pot it up just like that and let it recover for a year then pull it and see how it looks and go from there. You can always saw more off of the big ones next year.
Good job. Looks like you have plenty of roots so it should take off for you.

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks.
Man if had was single and had a ton of time I would just come home from work and dig... dig my hart out.

I don't think I'll buy any more trees . Don't really see the point in it any more :p

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks.
Man if had was single and had a ton of time I would just come home from work and dig... dig my hart out.

I don't think I'll buy any more trees . Don't really see the point in it any more :p
I feel the same way after the trees I dug this year. Free trees and they have more potential, who could ask for any better?

Aaron

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

It depends on what you are looking for. The problem I have with collected trees is that it will be many years before they get to the refinement stage. It is nice to work on trees that are further along. There are also trees that you are just not going to find or rarely find. Pines are a good example. Unless you are really out there looking you are not going to find many pines that are collectable and worth collecting.

...BUT, collecting could be a good way to finance your addiction. Each year collect more trees than you want so that you have stock to trade or sell later on. In a few years you could set yourself up for a zero cost hobby.

Top Bottom