Powerful Japanese Zelkova

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
they do loose there leaves completely a few weeks before they push their new growth
Thanks for the info, I'll see by myself : a friend who lives in the Mediterranean region will send me one next spring... 😎

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
s 60cm tall. And how big is the trunk?
(Tree looked massive, then I was flipping through the images, and was wondering.. )

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Nice. Clear changes in twig density, angular movement and thickness even before you clean it up. Great base on this one.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Cheers Tom, dont think ill go too mad on cleaning it up though. i do a lot of that during the season now. for eg you would struggle to find a branch here that has 3 from 1. or any ugly knuckles. or clustering, which happens easily if you let it get away on the species. will be just looking to snip off anything that doesnt fit the theme.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Cheers Tom, dont think ill go too mad on cleaning it up though. i do a lot of that during the season now. for eg you would struggle to find a branch here that has 3 from 1. or any ugly knuckles. or clustering, which happens easily if you let it get away on the species. will be just looking to snip off anything that doesnt fit the theme.
Looks great! Are you thinking of eliminating the heavy stubs on the right? The upper of the two does not like it has sprouted from anywhere useful yet, but the lower one has what looks like useful branching coming from the branch collar. I might be tempted to hack it off.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Looks great! Are you thinking of eliminating the heavy stubs on the right? The upper of the two does not like it has sprouted from anywhere useful yet, but the lower one has what looks like useful branching coming from the branch collar. I might be tempted to hack it off.
Hi not really thought about eliminating them but they have been reduced, atm the upper could potentially be reduced to to a shoot at the base of it.
the area needs to be kept an eye on as there are 4 feature branches coming from that middle part of the tree
20201215_185152.jpg

we have to bear in mind that the two left ones in the bubble will be much thicker as time goes on
as the tree ramifies as its doing now, thicker bits can be replaced with thinner bits.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I reduced the two longer stubs on the right, without really affecting the overall look or size of the silhouette, creating better branch taper.
i wouldnt remove the smaller stub entirely as this will leave a big wide open space at the front of the tree, it may not look like it does much from the photos but is an integral part of the tree.
20210107_121524.jpg20210107_121936.jpg

Attachments

• 20210107_122059.jpg
    20210107_122059.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210107_122038.jpg
    20210107_122038.jpg
    352 KB · Views: 21
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I reduced the two longer stubs on the right, without really affecting the overall look or size of the silhouette, creating better branch taper.
i wouldnt remove the smaller stub entirely as this will leave a big wide open space at the front of the tree, it may not look like it does much from the photos but is an integral part of the tree.

Good call(s) and I'll say looks like a great improvement IMHO! Really a great tree.

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Maybe I missed it, have you thought about a little larger pot? It looks like the nebari is near the edge? Would it benefit from a little more space for the nebari?

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Maybe I missed it, have you thought about a little larger pot? It looks like the nebari is near the edge? Would it benefit from a little more space for the nebari?
Hi i think the pot is suitable as im only building ramification and branch structure. its so happy in that pot, its extremely vigorous and is constantly pushing more buds out from the trunk that i keep rubbing out. when the drainage slows down it will be time to cut back the roots and leave either in this pot or in something similar.

Top Bottom