Princess Persimmon Fruits

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow I had no idea the fruits came in so many shapes, sizes and color shades. The round red ones are especially pretty. Look forward to seeing how all these develop and the seed processing.

bluone23

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Great thread. As Princess Persimmon seeds are hard to come by here in Europe - would anyone be willing to send me some? Thank you very much.
Agree to that.

i bought some from sunshineseeds.de I’m curious if something sprout out of them

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Agree to that.

Ah so you are why the Diospyros rhombifolia seeds were out of stock when I got around to ordering 😂😂. I have had seeds from this place before but not the persimmon. I can attest to good seed quality and high germination rates from other seeds purchased through them. 👍

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
There are so many hundreds of princess persimmon cultivars and Japan is very keen on naming each one. There's a continuum of traits so drawing the line and saying "this one is unique!" is kind of foolish.
The interesting question is whether we will keep such a system up once we have hundreds of cultivars in the US of unknown origin. One hilarious thing is certain, the names folks are using around here thus far are far less poetic!

Kyoto sunset --> Red torpedo
1642793900809.png

Gifu Lantern --> Orange football
1642793883731.png

Goddess dance --> Reddish orange sausage
1642793870258.png

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
Agree to that.

I bought from them too. Like 3 or 4 rounds of 100 seeds during last 3-4 years. Never sprouted no matter what I did. I have tried to sow them in autumn outside. Nothing. I have tried (repeatedly) to cold stratify them in fridge. Always had issue with mold. I planted the last round mixed with Diospyros Cathayensis after 2 months in fridge fighting mold. There is only one seedling.
Local people who grow Diospyros Kaki for fruit plan the seeds directly after removing from fruit. And they say they germinate pretty well (>90%). So I keep a batch of D. Cathayensis for spring and hoping sunshineeds.de restock at some point. That's why I'm looking for alternative source of seeds just to be sure.

bluone23

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I bought from them too. Like 3 or 4 rounds of 100 seeds during last 3-4 years. Never sprouted no matter what I did. I have tried to sow them in autumn outside. Nothing. I have tried (repeatedly) to cold stratify them in fridge. Always had issue with mold. I planted the last round mixed with Diospyros Cathayensis after 2 months in fridge fighting mold. There is only one seedling.
Local people who grow Diospyros Kaki for fruit plan the seeds directly after removing from fruit. And they say they germinate pretty well (>90%). So I keep a batch of D. Cathayensis for spring and hoping sunshineeds.de restock at some point. That's why I'm looking for alternative source of seeds just to be sure.
2 years ago I had zero success, they were in a bag in the fridge and they were full of mold.
I did not find any other source of D. Rhombifolia seeds / seedlings in Europe.

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
If the seeds are allowed to dry then the germination rate goes way down, but if the seeds are fresh it is near 100%. If planted at the normal time Feb-Mar the seeds germinate late in the year, May-June in some cases.

What are the import laws for fresh seeds to Europe from the US? Or from Japan to Europe? Ideally you ship the intact fruits with seed still inside. Or worst case moist seed that was just picked. It may be worth just going to a bonsai show in Japan and buying whatever you want and bringing it back if the import laws allow.

The typical regiment is to pick the fruits in Jan, wash off all the flesh in water and rinse until completely clean. You can plant immediately or stratify in the fridge at this point in a paper towel. Some books recommend coating the seeds in dry white fungicide powder (Captan) before planting, which is what I do with success. I imagine this may not be necessary.

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
Another slightly off-topic post, but here are some seeds and 2 sample trees that show 2 very different styles of Persimmon bonsai

I personally prefer the 2-trunk which, i think, captures the weight of the fruit in a way that rigid shohin does not

so i guess this post is about the absence of fruit and the way that trees suggest the past presence of fruit

7C8471ED-8870-4674-AB66-C936407CF73B.jpeg

D7344AA1-E322-4B69-A7D7-C94DF9CD967F.jpeg

8BCE523B-83EB-4C1F-BA07-1223DE88C7BF.jpeg

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Much healthier and stronger growth than last season! It seems like the hard cutback on the roots negatively affected the growth and fruiting. It is actually self-fruitful because I see two developing fruit this season.

🤞 With luck I will report on the shape/color of the fruit in the fall.

Attachments

• 20220523_184622.jpg
    20220523_184622.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220523_184444.jpg
    20220523_184444.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 29

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just curious, can one eat the fruit from princess persimmons?

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just curious, can one eat the fruit from princess persimmons?
I tried the fruit off of @MACH5 's tree. At first they tasted fine, after a few seconds they were so tannic it burned my throat!

Attachments

• 20211120_112814_1F062846-3E1F-4A21-9FDF-12626B46E51D.JPG
    20211120_112814_1F062846-3E1F-4A21-9FDF-12626B46E51D.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 23

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have wild persimmons growing at the house I get lots of fruit every year. I think it's Diospyros virginiana. They are very bitter when not ripe but tast good as they are almost ready to fall off.

Anyone ever use wild persimmon for bonsai?

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have wild persimmons growing at the house I get lots of fruit every year. I think it's Diospyros virginiana. They are very bitter when not ripe but tast good as they are almost ready to fall off.

I was wondering the same thing. I have some seedlings this year. The bark on the mature ones is awesome, I bet they could make awesome bonsai with tons of character. Appalachian bonsai attempted one on his YouTube channel but I don’t think it made it, there was never an update on it.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A

I’d love to try one at some point. Their bark is amazing.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I can send you some fruit
They are easy to grow from seed. Select over ripe fruits and wash the seeds making sure to get the slippery membrane off. Stratify in moist peat moss in the fridge for 90 days and plant 1/4 inch deep in well draining mix. Keep them moist and warm, in direct sun is ok, and they should start sprouting in 4-6 weeks. They take a long time to sprout. I got 6 sprouts out of the 8 I tried. They took so long I kinda gave up on them but to my surprise I saw I had sprouts last week.

Top Bottom