Principles of Bonsai design David de groot

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I will buy this book in two weeks. Thank you. Does the book line up with some of Walter Pall's discussions on horticulture?
Here's another thread somewhere, where WP reacted ... how many % of author's text he agrees with...

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have this book and have read it. I've even read quite a few of the references he gives to support his conclusions. It did not make my list of recommended resources. Although there is some good information in it, there is also some extremely bad advice. Some of the papers he refers to do not support his conclusions at all - in fact one could easily conclude quite the opposite from the same publications. One astoundingly bad example was discussed here:

http://www.bonsainut.com/threads/air-pruning-in-colanders.24671/#post-385391

and in the following posts. But there are other issues as well. There is no need to rehash it all here. I would put this one in the "use at your own risk" category.

Take a look around and see if you can find any pictures of his own bonsai trees. He only has Walter's trees in his book and on his Facebook page. I can't find any pictures of trees attributed to him. I wonder why?

Scott

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There was a vendor selling the Morton/Paul book at the National Exhibition. I spent a few minutes browsing it, but was not persuaded that it was worth buying. The fact that Mr Morton does not seem to have any bonsai of his own worth showing (as noted by Scott) is definitely a red flag in my opinion.

As for the photos, most of Walter's trees can be found for free on his website (and I think those images are at least as good in quality as the ones in the book), so that's not really a compelling reason to purchase...

Side note, does anyone here subscribe to Bonsai Focus? If so, what do you think of it?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
There was a vendor selling the Morton/Paul book at the National Exhibition. I spent a few minutes browsing it, but was not persuaded that it was worth buying. The fact that Mr Morton does not seem to have any bonsai of his own worth showing (as noted by Scott) is definitely a red flag in my opinion.

As for the photos, most of Walter's trees can be found for free on his website (and I think those images are at least as good in quality as the ones in the book), so that's not really a compelling reason to purchase...

Side note, does anyone here subscribe to Bonsai Focus? If so, what do you think of it?

I look forward to every copy!!

Scott

Top Bottom