Private Bonsai collection for sale in CERRITOS

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A few of these have been posted on eBay. The pricing seems to show they are pretty attached to them.

tmpgh

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Well, I'd say that the friends of this seller need to consult him on pricing and shipping. Almost none of these offerings have a single bid. You've got to ship and have reasonable prices.

fraser67

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PST
What is a tree worth? Hard to say. It's a nice collection, no doubt. Multiple pics for each tree is a must for eBay. Shipping is a pain, time consuming and expensive. I'd be happy to take over the entire collection...I'd even throw in a free local pickup:)
Best,
Jonathan

Ris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
What is a tree worth? Hard to say. It's a nice collection, no doubt. Multiple pics for each tree is a must for eBay. Shipping is a pain, time consuming and expensive. I'd be happy to take over the entire collection...I'd even throw in a free local pickup:)
Best,
Jonathan

Sure he's asking 15k...

Last edited:

reddog

Mame
Reaction score
What is a tree worth?

Best,
Jonathan

Interesting. I agree it is hard to say. Went to visit ryan neil's place last year and his tree's start at a couple of thousand and go beyond $20k for world class trees. someone has been buying them so I guess it depends on the "perceived" value for a tree or collection.

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I have to say if I were to sell anything including trees on eBay I'd ship. Why not widen your market by a lot!

peter_c

Seedling
Reaction score
pricing

In selling anything that is subjective to price, there is a starting point or asking price and a negotiating process. I would suggest seeing the entire collection first after all, not even Half of my collection is on EBay. Also seeing them in person it may change your mind as to there worth.

Thx, Peter

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting. I agree it is hard to say. Went to visit ryan neil's place last year and his tree's start at a couple of thousand and go beyond $20k for world class trees. someone has been buying them so I guess it depends on the "perceived" value for a tree or collection.

This is consistent with how Bonsai are sold in Japan. Usually one of the variables used to determine value, price point etc is who owned/owns the tree. In this example Ryan Neil...So yes I can see why he is moving 20K trees. I don't know if I could do the same...

You always here thats a Kimura tree, thats a Marco tree, Walter Paul tree...

I think that brands the tree and raises its stock! Nothing against the person who is selling these trees. I am speaking generally... but also that a comparison cannot be made with Ryan neil, Master Kimura, Suzuki... or the rest when selling trees. I do agree it is subjective however market will dictate the final price.

Cheers

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
This is consistent with how Bonsai are sold in Japan. Usually one of the variables used to determine value, price point etc is who owned/owns the tree. In this example Ryan Neil...So yes I can see why he is moving 20K trees. I don't know if I could do the same...

You always here thats a Kimura tree, thats a Marco tree, Walter Paul tree...

I think that brands the tree and raises its stock! Nothing against the person who is selling these trees. I am speaking generally... but also that a comparison cannot be made with Ryan neil, Master Kimura, Suzuki... or the rest when selling trees. I do agree it is subjective however market will dictate the final price.

Cheers

We are not just talking add a name increase its value. They are making these trees what they are and/or redesigning them into what they are. I cant simply take my shitty tree to Ryans and put a high price tag on it and hope it to sell. I have seen trees that Ryan has worked on in a workshop, then later be advertised as Ryan Neil worked on this tree and then sold and not sell for a penny more than it would have otherwise.

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We are not just talking add a name increase its value. They are making these trees what they are and/or redesigning them into what they are. I cant simply take my shitty tree to Ryans and put a high price tag on it and hope it to sell. I have seen trees that Ryan has worked on in a workshop, then later be advertised as Ryan Neil worked on this tree and then sold and not sell for a penny more than it would have otherwise.

Agreed! Not just name association drives value...I was thinking much broader but did not expand to say the trees has to also look AWESOME and not a piece of...as well. However I did say name branding was only one of several variables that contribute to pricing... Name, what it looks likes, age, shows won etc all critical factors that dictates what it sells for... Who the individual buyer is in itself is a variable...Thats where the whole "pricing is subjective" comes in. It could be a KIMURA tree, won several shows but if it doesn't appeal to the individual they will not pay "a lot" for it.

Cheers

Nomiyama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ahh yes, the ever present rule that people are willing to pay what the true value of an item's worth. The market always determines actual real time value. What a tree was worth in the past or what it may be worth in the future may or may not contribute to the final price paid today in 2014. I think we also may need to consider rarity within species contributes to the price. For example a finished Yamadori Korean hornbeam (rare) versus a finished trident maple (more common).

peter_c

Seedling
Reaction score
Private Bonsai collection for sale. In Cerritos California (update)

Private Bonsai collection for sale. In Cerritos California (update)

Would like to take an opportunity to give a thanks for the overwhelming response and support. Many of you have recognized the value and uniqueness of this one-of-a-kind collection of trees. As you may have figured by now the collection is starting to get smaller and smaller.

For all those who may have visited before and could not take advantage of purchasing the entire collection. Now that the collection is smaller... maybe one could now afford all the rest or just reconsider a single purchase. All reasonable offers will be considered.

Thank you!

CALL 562 714-2503 OR EMAIL ME AT pchance@csudh.edu

Last edited:

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
It is on Ebay.
It would be nice if people didn't put links to other sales on a thread where someone is selling off a collection for health reasons.

Top Bottom