Progression: RMJ Bolt

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thanks for documenting this whole process. Most of us are posting our twigs on here so it's nice seeing some big beauties like this.

Out of curiosity do you do anything to treat the deadwood on these? That deadwood has to be at least a few hundred years old at this point right? Crazy to think about the amount of history this tree has been through o_O

IzzyG

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks for documenting this whole process. Most of us are posting our twigs on here so it's nice seeing some big beauties like this.

Out of curiosity do you do anything to treat the deadwood on these? That deadwood has to be at least a few hundred years old at this point right? Crazy to think about the amount of history this tree has been through o_O
My maintenance schedule has annual cleaning and treatment of deadwood in the summer. I’m not the biggest fan of stark white deadwood on large trees so I tend to further dilute the lime sulfur concentration but will definitely clean!

IzzyG

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Do you ever plan on displaying the tree at a show again? I'd say that's about the only time you should make deadwood stark white otherwise the more natural look is nicer
It’s very likely that all of the trees in the collection will be shown at some point or another. However, even then it’s unlikely I’d get the deadwood glaringly white except on smaller trees(which I have none lol). I don’t intend to chase ribbons or awards. Rather the showings will just be opportunities I take to perpetuate American Bonsai specimens.

IzzyG

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
As the calendar dwindles down into winter, figured I’d add an update on the tree.

The branch die back continued to worsen through summer:

092D47B7-6513-4A00-B9C5-221D1AD4206A.jpegD417E44A-3A67-4E66-8207-DD3262243577.jpeg

However, I was able to trace all of it to one particular live vein and decided it was best to remove it:

A0D5AEEC-77E6-4736-9EFA-8A0EE3822C5F.jpeg

Adjusted some branch positioning and truthfully the removal was an improvement as it opened up more of the structure and revealed more of the characteristics of the tree:

768E9AD5-2D07-4FCA-A6A5-77613B425A7D.jpeg

Since then, it hasn’t skipped a beat and has shown no other weakness. I also further anchored down the tree to minimize any instability until the planned repot next spring. I was suspicious if the instability caused some movements in the root system that’s causing the localized die back. It’s also been a full 6 months since the tree’s been on the Apical nutritional program and the vigor shows. Foliage is also no longer floppy and showing rigidity. The photo below is from this morning:

A0ACDFBD-1659-4DC9-8130-FAA9D8DD1A5D.jpeg

If all goes well this winter, its repot next spring and Spring growth, the tree should be in a really good spot come summer!

SantaFeBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
Izzy, what a roller coaster ride so far with that rmj. Just sweetens the memories when you finally arrive at the destination.

I have a rmj that Boone performed 7 grafts and all failed. Fell out of love with the tree then one day I just cut off all the wispy foliage, about 40% of the tree. It was healthy w/12” extensions and 12” wispy-weak and fallen extensions as well. It responded with super turgid new needles and very little wispy foliage returned and when it did I cut it off. It was either going to be a good tree or die. It choose wisely 😅

IMG_2470.jpeg

It’s taken awhile and still has a ways to go but I’m so thankful I embraced its natural foliage and I think you’ll be also.

IMG_1681.jpeg

This latest edition was performed by Julian Tsai.

IMG_1691.jpeg

Top Bottom