Progressive Maple (Little Club):'Orange Dream' #001 aka "lil boy"

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
No problem. I've shared with 0so in private message that part of this tree died.? its setting me back a handful of years. Only the bud at bottom is alive. Its strong though, about a foot tall now. All the branches top died. Maybe I reduced the stub too soon or it caught some diesase.

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
No problem. I've shared with 0so in private message that part of this tree died.? its setting me back a handful of years. Only the bud at bottom is alive. Its strong though, about a foot tall now. All the branches top died. Maybe I reduced the stub too soon or it caught some diesase.
Thanks for sharing! Don't feel bad, I killed an orange dream this year. I think they are suseptable to fungus. Tried to thread graft. Lol.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
when would be a good time to start the Ebihari notch? I have a Sango Kaku that was cutting grown that I wanted to notch.
I think you could start and enlarge the notch most any time the tree is active. The key, however, is that you want to have the phloem connection on the underside of the branch during the winter. So you will finally sever the branch in the spring, after it has leafed out.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for sharing! Don't feel bad, I killed an orange dream this year. I think they are suseptable to fungus. Tried to thread graft. Lol.
I've never had any indication of Orange Dream having any such problems.
In shade, its leaves stay limey green.
In full sun they turn yellow and then can easily burn (i.e., get brown spots, margins, or curl up and die like leaves normally do in the fall).

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In full sun they turn yellow and then can easily burn (i.e., get brown spots, margins, or curl up and die like leaves normally do in the fall).

Eyup!!

DSC02493.JPG
DSC02494.JPG

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That was one of my favorites. It's demise may have very well been user error. When I get a little more experienced with bonsai I will try again. It seems like if you get a nice graft there may be no need to air layer off the rootstock. Do you find the growth similar between OD and the root stock ?

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
That was one of my favorites. It's demise may have very well been user error. When I get a little more experienced with bonsai I will try again. It seems like if you get a nice graft there may be no need to air layer off the rootstock. Do you find the growth similar between OD and the root stock ?
My rootstock grows with more vigor.
Heres orange dream today, hanging in there and looking towards a better future one day. Again, I may have reduced the stub too soon or it caught a disease. Just going to let it grow another 5 years before any serious work on top. Maybe sooner for footwork.
20180720_113525.jpg

Top Bottom