Prunus mume questions

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Make sure you mark that branch and see whether it does the same thing next year. You might be sitting on a new cultivar potential there. I have not seen this in mume before. Anyone?

I believe this is a characteristic specific to this variety and not a new discovery, although i would have had fun naming it.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Damage done.

Off you go. Now go in, edit the branches and wire them in place. :)

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Flower buds swelling as we get closer to the show. I’d like to get it into a pot this year after flower But will admit I am nervous about having to reduce roots to fit into something as the colander it is in is quite large. We shall see.
5196F1A9-8028-4CCE-9085-0FEDB30B00DD.jpeg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Nybonsai12

Been wondering about these and how well they would do up here.
This thread shows some of them do just fine so thanks.
I would like to try one or two of these myself

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Nybonsai12

Been wondering about these and how well they would do up here.
This thread shows some of them do just fine so thanks.
I would like to try one or two of these myself
So I’ve had some time with a few different varieties of these. This one was sold as Usuiro Chirmen from Brent at evergreen but later he indicated he believed it to be something else, Une if I remember correctly. never had any issues with it in the ground other than rabbits chewing at it. Late cold snaps will ruin flower buds, but it always grew well following the snaps. I’ve got another Omoi No Mama that has acted the same In the ground that I plan to dig this spring.

I had a matsubura red that rabbits killed but it wasn’t a particularly strong grower to being with. And a benichidori that behaved similarly. I wouldnt hesitate to try growing any of them again because I think they make incredible bonsai. I’d just be sure to keep em safe from rabbits/squirrels/chipmunks and if in a pot, protect in winter from really cold temps,

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So I’ve had some time with a few different varieties of these. This one was sold as Usuiro Chirmen from Brent at evergreen but later he indicated he believed it to be something else, Une if I remember correctly. never had any issues with it in the ground other than rabbits chewing at it. Late cold snaps will ruin flower buds, but it always grew well following the snaps. I’ve got another Omoi No Mama that has acted the same In the ground that I plan to dig this spring.

I had a matsubura red that rabbits killed but it wasn’t a particularly strong grower to being with. And a benichidori that behaved similarly. I wouldnt hesitate to try growing any of them again because I think they make incredible bonsai. I’d just be sure to keep em safe from rabbits/squirrels/chipmunks and if in a pot, protect in winter from really cold temps,

Yea I have been looking at his website trying to decide what to try

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Simply stunning. What pot/color combination are you planing to use?

michael

I have two unglazed rectangles and a unglazed round on hand. One is a dark rectangle, one is a lighter grayish shade rectangle and the round is likely the best size but my least fav color wise with a lighter brown. At this point I am mostly worried about continuing to size it down to fit in a pot and want to tread with caution. Ideally I’d purchase the exact pot I want for it which would probably be something round with a subtle glaze. But I also really like Ume in lighter shade unglazed pots, like grey or pear skin? i like the lighter shade pot with the dark bark and bright flowers.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have two unglazed rectangles and a unglazed round on hand. One is a dark rectangle, one is a lighter grayish shade rectangle and the round is likely the best size but my least fav color wise with a lighter brown. At this point I am mostly worried about continuing to size it down to fit in a pot and want to tread with caution. Ideally I’d purchase the exact pot I want for it which would probably be something round with a subtle glaze. But I also really like Ume in lighter shade unglazed pots, like grey or pear skin? i like the lighter shade pot with the dark bark and bright flowers.
Sounds like you have a decision to make. I have seen a lot of mume in unglazed pots that look stunning. Can’t wait to see it all dressed up. Nice flower show by the way as it looks super healthy.
Michael

Top Bottom