Prunus mume stock from Evergreen Gardenworks

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have some very similar material as what's on the first page of this thread... glad you put your calendar and this information together!

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
This one took off like a rocket this spring.
View attachment 192998
Time to get focused back on the trunk though...
View attachment 192999
Hey Brian, in this example, did you cut back bc you was happy with trunk size at that time? The part where it says “time to focus back on trunk” I’m under the impression that leaving foliage on would allow the trunk to get thicker. Just want to understand your objective and clear up any misunderstanding I may have.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hey Brian, in this example, did you cut back bc you was happy with trunk size at that time? The part where it says “time to focus back on trunk” I’m under the impression that leaving foliage on would allow the trunk to get thicker. Just want to understand your objective and clear up any misunderstanding I may have.
The work was to build the trunk a section at a time, adding movement and taper with each selective pruning. The trick is balancing growth with not leaving enormous pruning scars which are slow to heal, if they heal at all.

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Impressive progress, however I have one question I see you keep many primary branches aren’t you afraid of inverse tape forming?

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
The work was to build the trunk a section at a time, adding movement and taper with each selective pruning. The trick is balancing growth with not leaving enormous pruning scars which are slow to heal, if they heal at all.
Make so much more sense, thank you for a clearing it up for me. Amazing work and tree you have!

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Using this image, show me where you see this becoming a problem.

The bottom red circle in the inside of the curve in the trunk there seems to be more than one branch together and in general the branch placement in the inside of the curve.

Top circle in yellow there seem to be multiple branches close together and particularly in the red circle.

5A71C869-CADF-4CC2-AED6-FBF44B1C3EBE.jpeg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
The lower left branch forks into 3 close to the trunk, and over time will be reduced to 2, but it’s in no danger of causing reverse taper on the trunk:
9E178681-8F15-4910-B710-BE72B2B11068.jpeg
Higher up, the tree still has quite a few small shoots coming off the trunk, which will be reduced over time. This one is on the big side for the height, and there are several to replace it before it’s a problem.
220BE025-7A31-4744-A036-809D0B3FC360.jpeg
In general, at this stage the branches aren’t thickening fast enough to cause problems.

Reaction score
In 2015 I dug it up and put it in an Anderson Flat:
View attachment 150697
And let it grow basically wild for the next 2 years. It got to about 8' tall:
View attachment 150698
And after a good haircut:
View attachment 150699 View attachment 150700 View attachment 150701
It's back to 10" tall, and sporting a 4" base. Check back in another 2 years!
Please post an update later this year , those have always been my favorite flowering trees. That's awesome 😎

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The lower left branch forks into 3 close to the trunk, and over time will be reduced to 2, but it’s in no danger of causing reverse taper on the trunk:
View attachment 479787
Higher up, the tree still has quite a few small shoots coming off the trunk, which will be reduced over time. This one is on the big side for the height, and there are several to replace it before it’s a problem.
View attachment 479788
In general, at this stage the branches aren’t thickening fast enough to cause problems.
Thanks for explaining, still learning and untill recently I would prune too much early on in trees development.

Top Bottom