Pyracantha/Firethorn - Twisted Trunk

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looking a lot greener now, was a bit sparse for some time.
Haven't pruned anything yet. It has still produced a number of larger leaves but I am looking to make he tree stronger and more vigorous. So I won't remove any larger leaves for now.

Misc by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This guy got real bushy.
I've removed 2 longer branches that I had left.

DSC_0693 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr DSC_0695 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0698 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0696 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

Plenty of budding inside too.
DSC_0699 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

The leaves also are getting smaller, overall. I removed a good load of the larger ones by hand, before the growing season. Its put on a lot more leaves now and most are smaller.
DSC_0692 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

Lost2301

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I dis agree with the notion that they grow slow and do not ramify. I have 5 under development all nursery stock, 4 of which have been styled. Two pretty much finished, other two well along the way, one still being allowed to grow unchecked and then cut back once or twice a growing season. All 5 were grown out this way. Trunks have more then doubled by doing this. Two sit in full sun and love it, other 3 hated it. Moved them back to east side and they love it. My advice is to let them grow, feed them, cut them back to encourage ramification and be patient. Here is a photo of one of the trees, purchased in 2012. I would say it has good ramification, this is a very large tree, with big thick trunk. Just my thoughts on the subject.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I dis agree with the notion that they grow slow and do not ramify. I have 5 under development all nursery stock, 4 of which have been styled. Two pretty much finished, other two well along the way, one still being allowed to grow unchecked and then cut back once or twice a growing season. All 5 were grown out this way. Trunks have more then doubled by doing this. Two sit in full sun and love it, other 3 hated it. Moved them back to east side and they love it. My advice is to let them grow, feed them, cut them back to encourage ramification and be patient. Here is a photo of one of the trees, purchased in 2012. I would say it has good ramification, this is a very large tree, with big thick trunk. Just my thoughts on the subject.
View attachment 257076

That’s fair enough buddy, no arguments here. I’ve mostly read online that they do not ramify well but I’ve heard plenty of positive reactions to that.

I didn’t realise I had said they grow slow? If so, my mistake, I’ve never believed they grow slow, they are very vigorous growers in my climate, react very strongly to pruning. They don’t taper well and the ramification I’ve not got enough experience of yet but they definitely grow well! :)
Mine is in a small pot but it’s shot out more growth since my last posting:

CBA46159-58B8-4469-BDEA-2EAF61C26D95.jpeg

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I’ve never believed they grow slow, they are very vigorous growers in my climate, react very strongly to pruning.

What people who said that they "grow slow" meant was probably that the trunk doesn't thicken that much.

Pyracantha, like Cotoneaster, can grow very long, but thin branches while the trunk doesn't fatten much.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What people who said that they "grow slow" meant was probably that the trunk doesn't thicken that much.

Pyracantha, like Cotoneaster, can grow very long, but thin branches while the trunk doesn't fatten much.

I was going to edit my comment to say exactly that, about thickening.
I’d certainly have said that!

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Its in need of a bit of wiring now but no rush, it will slow down growth now as the growing season wanes so I will get to wiring some time shortly.
Looking nice and healthy and bushy though.

DSC_0776 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0777 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0778 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This pyracantha actually has dropped a large, alarming amount of leaves.. it still has plenty, not enough to be worried but concerning at least.

I am thinking this is a response to the repotting, as you can see above, a good amount of roots were removed.. Hopefully in future I wont remove as much, as they will be better quality roots and won't need removing but can anyone tell me from their experience, what they would think of this?

The leaves were a bit yellow but not much, i woudnt think much of them if still attached. About... 40% of the whole trees leave mass has dropped.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I would not be concerned with leaf drop until they all fall. Pyracantha seems to be pretty tough. Some of the trees I have collected have had massive root reduction and survived that.
Dropping leaves may also just be part of the natural cycle.
Pyracantha are evergreen but even evergreen leaves have a finite life. The tree regularly replaces old leaves with new ones. Some species replace leaves annually but not all at once like deciduous, others last for 2 or 3 years but still eventually have to be shed. Not sure what pyracantha cycle is as I've only been growing them for a couple of years.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sure, I understand that evergreens need to drop too.

I've had pyracantha for a few years now, I've experienced this kind of leaf drop before... I think its a simple case of me not having pruned the foliage mass, when I pruned roots, to keep them both in balance. And so the tree has responded by balancing for me..

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My Pyracantha when I Repotted it the first time it came from Florida. It dropped almost all it's foliage. I thought...I had lost it. It recovered nicely. So I wouldn't worry none either.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My Pyracantha when I Repotted it the first time it came from Florida. It dropped almost all it's foliage. I thought...I had lost it. It recovered nicely. So I wouldn't worry none either.

Thanks, Im hoping to back up my theory about balance, foliage and root mass. Its learning whether that is right or wrong, which is my main thing. I believe the tree will be fine in any case, its tough.
I think I may defoliate some leaves on the outside to thin it any way, allow light through.

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
Same happened with mine, I repotted it as soon as I got home from the nursery and took off maybe 20% of the roots. 3 weeks later it was completely bare, almost no leaves at all!

A month later and it was full and bushy with new vibrant green leaves. It hasn’t stopped budding and growing since then;)

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Same happened with mine, I repotted it as soon as I got home from the nursery and took off maybe 20% of the roots. 3 weeks later it was completely bare, almost no leaves at all!

A month later and it was full and bushy with new vibrant green leaves. It hasn’t stopped budding and growing since then;)

Good to know. Here I thought I had been picking up some good experience with pyra but perhaps not! I am hoping it doesn't go completely bare, as I dont think my heart can take it (Im 28 but I feel 70). But its got plenty of buds bursting right now too. It needed the root prune, so no regrets there!

I like the new pot for this pyra.

Thanks a lot, same pot as before though, no change buddy. I do like this pot for this tree, although I've never thought or seen it in anything else. Maybe in future :)

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Without photos, it’s difficult to diagnose the problem. I know my pyra always shed a lot of leaves around this time of year too. Probably normal, maybe pouting a bit from the repot, but likely it’s ok.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Without photos, it’s difficult to diagnose the problem. I know my pyra always shed a lot of leaves around this time of year too. Probably normal, maybe pouting a bit from the repot, but likely it’s ok.

You know I knew I was committing a cardinal sin by not posting pics but I just honestly thought no need. I’m sure it’s fine too, just good to get your opinion though, thanks.

Some pics in any case:
image.jpg

image.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Yeah, it’s fine. Looks like it’s shedding old leaves, and new growth is coming on strong...flowers too. As long as it’s in sun and warmth, it will be good.

Top Bottom