Pyracantha (Firethorn) foliage were damaged by frost. Is it critical?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Despite the fact that it's under the protection of the wind and the temperature does not fall below -1C (30F), I still got frost damage on the leaves. Maybe this happened due to the rootbal freezing (?). This is his second winter. It grew until late autumn, but even the ripened leaves were damaged. The branches look alive, but the leaves are almost completely dry. The photo shows the difference between the living part of the leaf and the dead part (stains on the leaves are traces of the fungicide that I treat every spring):

PXL_20230228_130537811.jpgPXL_20230228_130537811_2.jpgPXL_20230228_130526504.jpg

Is the loss of most of the foliage critical for Pyracantha? I would say it's about 90% of the foliage in this state. I also see young buds and leaves:

PXL_20230228_130613177.jpg

Last edited:

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Despite the fact that it's under the protection of the wind and the temperature does not fall below -1C (30F), I still got frost damage on the leaves. Maybe this happened due to the rootbal freezing (?). This is his second winter. It grew until late autumn, but even the ripened leaves were damaged. The branches look alive, but the leaves are almost completely dry. The photo shows the difference between the living part of the leaf and the dead part (stains on the leaves are traces of the fungicide that I treat every spring):

View attachment 474653View attachment 474655View attachment 474652

Is the loss of most of the foliage critical for Pyracantha? I would say it's about 90% of the foliage in this state. I also see young buds and leaves:

View attachment 474654

I wouldn't worry about the foliage. You can completely defoliate pyracantha and they'll spring right back. The real issue resides with the roots. At 30 F I can't imagine you had any significant damage.

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I see a lot of new budding, which means your tree is healthy and should pull through just fine. They can take a little frost damage without much harm, so long as the soil in the pot doesn't freeze solid. As BrianBay9 said, the roots are the Achilles Heel of Pyra. I lost three last summer to heat driven fungal issues. Heat is a far greater danger to them than cold.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I lost three last summer to heat driven fungal issues. Heat is a far greater danger to them than cold.
Yes, I had leaf fungus on it last summer. I tried all the fungicides, but still I was able to cure by the middle of summer.
Also, I was planning to do a repotting and a little nebari formation, would that be appropriate?

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
If you think the tree needs it, repotting in the Spring (or whenever the danger of a hard frost has passed) is fine. Since your tree already appears to be pushing buds in the pic, you could also repot early and just bring it inside overnight if the forecast calls for freeze temps.

Top Bottom