Question from a newbie

Baz

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi
If a Bonsai is suposed to be a replica of a real tree how can a bonsai have just a number of set styles in real life trees are not uniform each one is a diferent shape no 2 are the same

Baz

mapleman77

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi Baz, I think that I can help. Bonsai are supposed to represent what trees COULD look like in nature--and these trees, while no two are exactly the same, mostly fall under the "informal upright", "slanting", and so forth. However, you're right in the fact that there could be some "undefined" styles; I think that you do not have to shape a tree EXACTLY the way an "informal upright" would look. I myself want to train some trees that do not have any set style.

hope this helps! Take it with a grain of salt, seeing as I'm still kind of a newb too.

David

meushi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Personal theory warning ;)

What we see as styles to exactly match are actually archetypes used to train our skills and our eyes. With the exception of a couple of styles (bunjin, fukinagashi), you can absolutely mix and match or even ignore rules and still end up with a good tree.

Those archetypes were originally derived from old Chinese paintings made of trees on various sacred mountains. They might not look like the trees you see around you, but they do look like the trees you can see over there... with the exception of the bunjin which you will see in any place that has pines fighting for light and the fukinagashi which you will often see close to the sea.

Hope that helps,
Michael

Top Bottom