question on field growing stock

tater

Seed
Reaction score
So I'm in Wisconsin(zone 5a), and I'm going to try growing some stock from seed. My question is, will Zelkova serrata, and some maple(trident, Japanese, red) seedlings/saplings be hardy enough to survive cold winters in the ground?

I've done a little research, and I'm just wanting to see if anybody else has some opinions on it.

off topic: first post!

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would certainly try it. I believe both are rated zone 5, and if it doesn't work you're not out much starting from seed. :)

Sorry, I don't have any direct experience with this. I have some of both trees but I can't feild grow them here in zone 4b without winter shelter.

tater

Seed
Reaction score
I would certainly try it. I believe both are rated zone 5, and if it doesn't work you're not out much starting from seed. :)

Sorry, I don't have any direct experience with this. I have some of both trees but I can't feild grow them here in zone 4b without winter shelter.

That's kind of what I figured(the whole not being out a whole lot anyway)

So Tater, I'm opening a large can of worms here :) With climate change a very real part of of our growing environment, who the hell knows? Go with it and see what happens and let us know.
Wood
http://thingsofwood-gary.blogspot.com/

Tell me about it, it was 78* here the other day :)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hey, welcome tater!

I think that zelkova and trident may be ok, but they do experience dieback without protection in very cold winters. I have seen zelkova planted as yard trees die in our colder winters here. But the zones, they are a changing....

I would think that ground growing may be successful, but just remember that when you put them in a pot, they'll need protection more than the zone that they are hardy to. I usually think that you have to subtract one zone for potted plant hardiness...

Top Bottom