Quince repot

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, just to prove I have trees other than ponderosa, here is a quince that I've been working on. I got it from the "Hey Mikey" auction on BonsaiTalk. The flower close up is from last year, for some reason the leaves came out with the (very few) flowers this year.

The pictures in the pond basket are from some styling last year.

The new pot is from Erin Pottery (via obpots.com).

Attachments

• IMG_0250.jpg
    IMG_0250.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0251.jpg
    IMG_0251.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1834.jpg
    IMG_1834.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0966.jpg
    IMG_0966.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 47

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
kinda looks like mine - I love your pot though.

I actually trim mine down every winter. By the end of the summer it looks like yours - all twiggy but then I cut everything back to the original "skeleton" I don't find that they ramify much and branch/trunk don't seem to thicken at all anyway by letting it grow free (did that for a couple season and wasn't too impressed)

I gros mine for the flowers in the spring - then it sits somewhere unnoticed the rest of the season.

IMG_0255.jpg

painter

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Love those quince.
im a bit curious about taking cuttings. Ive got one in my yard, with no substantial trunk thickness, but what would be the best way? air layer , sucker , ? and what time of year? after flowering or before?

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Love those quince.
im a bit curious about taking cuttings. Ive got one in my yard, with no substantial trunk thickness, but what would be the best way? air layer , sucker , ? and what time of year? after flowering or before?

Although mine are in pots I have had success in removing root suckers that I missed removing earlier in the year. They rooted on their own and when I repotted I was able to easily snip them free from the main root ball and pot them up.

My quince seem to flower all season and then go dormant so I would assume spring regardless of flowering.

painter

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
thanks everyone, i was gonna try and pot up the sucker after it flowered. if that doesnt work there is always next year.

Top Bottom