Radialayer™ a season saver.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That all got wrapped I

It may be just semantics, but nothing gets wrapped, just containerized.

Yeah, since we want divisions in roots "close" to the trunk, we only need a proportionally sound bit of the roots to be flat out, since the rest will be cut. The lower part is so you can remove the tree, and let it grow without needing to change the container, one less repot, more succes.

This is essentially a grow out pot as well.

Since the device makes the roots right, we don't have to go in and make em right, so ...one less thing.

Sorce

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Here’s a ground layer version of this method on a Sharp’s Pygmy Maple. I’ve used this successfully on many different trees. I need to layer above the graft ...

190255DD-9CF1-46AE-ADF5-EF90C6E163F7.jpeg
16BB36B7-B444-4B1B-91D4-16CCB59D82BC.jpeg
0FB7194F-D2BF-4D14-870B-EE37608568E3.jpeg
91816500-1ABC-457A-8C01-391C0B88B293.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks! And I agree—keeping lids helps a lot ... here’s another on a Corticosa Elm:
View attachment 317920

Any notes on the disk helping? Pics? Have you had roots skip down, etc etc...?

Have you ever done regular ones to have any comparing ideas?

I have been thinking about how too many people still do it the old fashioned way, so any extra information is Welcome.

I'm still only pushing this like I got lucky, and with a good hand it can be successful.

I'd like to downright start getting directly in folks' ass that are starting on BS.

Do you severe and keep them in the containers?

I'm stupid excited to start mine, but I , for the first time in f Long, don't have any sphagnum!

Thinking about using just de, it's a ficus.

Sorce

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The method works great and as-intended. I usually use aluminum duct tape to ensure there are no gaps between the disc and trunk to keep the roots from heading south.

I have had 100% success (I probably just jinxed myself) using orchid bark seedling mix. It’s also wonderful when it comes time to sever and replant. It just shakes off the new roots—no picking out moss bits.

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
View attachment 318000
IDK, I'm betting the tree will bridge that narrow gap.
CW

Except it’s not that narrow—the tape makes it appear that way, but is halfway between the bark rings:

6C406728-16A2-498D-8F98-11C14B064309.jpeg
Notwithstanding, I’ve had luck with no ring barking this way—just tourniquets using this method.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Except it’s not that narrow—the tape makes it appear that way, but is halfway between the bark rings:

Notwithstanding, I’ve had luck with no ring barking this way—just tourniquets using this method.

I looked back through the thread, but couldn't find any mention. What is that strawberry-jam looking stuff?

Hump

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I can't wait to try this. My neighbor has an amazing red maple that he's given me the go ahead.

2 questions Sorce...

1) Best Time of Year (in WV)
2) Your advice on how Thick I could try on a maple? There are a couple 1/4 inch, 1/2 In, and some bigger 1 1/2- 2.5 inch branches. I know some species root better than others. Top of the tree or low hanging?

Thanks!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can't wait to try this. My neighbor has an amazing red maple that he's given me the go ahead.

2 questions Sorce...

2) Your advice on how Thick I could try on a maple? There are a couple 1/4 inch, 1/2 In, and some bigger 1 1/2- 2.5 inch branches. I know some species root better than others. Top of the tree or low hanging?

Thanks!

Time of year you start it doesn't matter as much as time of year you remove it, and it's most important to know you can leave em on over winter.

I don't think size is a determining factor, except for, the larger or is, the more work it is, and since humans are lazy and not very thorough, it makes sense we say larger stuff won't root. I don't believe it.

Sorce

cdefoe

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a

2 questions Sorce...

Thanks!

i didn't see this thread until after i performed the layer, but here's a pic of a ~4 inch diameter branch i have going on a red maple at my parents' place in zone 4 that i hope will have enough roots to separate in a couple weeks when i'm back up there

Attachments

• 30015.jpeg
    30015.jpeg
    102.2 KB · Views: 26
Top Bottom