RIP Harry Hirao

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Harry Hirao- "Mr. CA Juniper" and one of the sweetest most generous men I've ever known passed away late Thursday night. He was 98. Harry was one of the corner stones of American bonsai on many levels. He was very active on the National level with involvement in the National Bonsai Museum, was honored by the Japanese government for his bonsai work, appeared at countless conventions and workshops and made it possible for many of us to collect and enjoy the California Juniper as bonsai. He seemed happiest when in the mountains collecting junipers or in the rivers collecting suiseki. He always had a smile on his face and was always ready with a word of encouragement or a helping hand. He loved sharing his knowledge and love for bonsai and was a prolific teacher. His gentle happy spirit was infectious and one couldn't help but smile when he was around.
Harry will be remembered and missed by many. RIP Harry and deepest condolences to his family and friends.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
RIP Harry

There's a section on him in my Stone Lantern Junipers book (that's who knows how old by now) and I was very impressed seeing a man his age collecting junipers. From all accounts he was a great man.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Services for Harry Hiaro will be on Tuesday, August 4th at 4PM at the Orange County Buddhist Church

900 South Dale Avenue, Anaheim. (714) 827-9590

johnegert

Seedling
Reaction score
This may be a strange place to introduce myself--- and , by extension, the Albuquerque Bonsai Club---- but here goes. I invite you to waste some pleasant time at our website and Facebook page. I'm the teacher for our club, having clear seniority, and a good bonsai education from So Cal and Japan. I'm doing this here because our site has a remembrance of Harry from my many years of friendship with that great man. I'd like to contribute to your site, and I'll try to stay out of trouble.....
John Egert
New Mexico

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy John Egert!

I'll try to stay out of trouble.

Well you're no fun!

A respectable gesture, hope to hear more from ya!

Sorce

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This may be a strange place to introduce myself--- and , by extension, the Albuquerque Bonsai Club---- but here goes. I invite you to waste some pleasant time at our website and Facebook page. I'm the teacher for our club, having clear seniority, and a good bonsai education from So Cal and Japan. I'm doing this here because our site has a remembrance of Harry from my many years of friendship with that great man. I'd like to contribute to your site, and I'll try to stay out of trouble.....
John Egert
New Mexico
Hey John it's the youngin Aaron from the club:D you may get in a little trouble with your jokieness but it's okay people here can be brutal.

johnegert

Seedling
Reaction score
AAron, you crazy geek!!! Are you learning anything over here??? I haven't participated in a forum in years, so I'll try not to engage in any bizarre invective like last time.....
If you aren't working next Sat., come to Connie's and get some new soil prepared by microbiology guru Mike Melendrez. Jesus!! Talk about hijacking a thread..............
john

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
AAron, you crazy geek!!! Are you learning anything over here??? I haven't participated in a forum in years, so I'll try not to engage in any bizarre invective like last time.....
If you aren't working next Sat., come to Connie's and get some new soil prepared by microbiology guru Mike Melendrez. Jesus!! Talk about hijacking a thread..............
john
I will be there for sure I've been busy at the nursery the last few Saturdays, I was really bummed I missed the arboretum but there's always next time.

Top Bottom