Rmj, how much tree to use?

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think the tire stand has the appropriate dementions for the size and masculinity of this tree; furthermore, the accent-cat adds balance to the weight of the composition.

Bonsai aside, that’s a great photo

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Your next step is to get a source of illumination for the tree that comes at it from the side.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I could get the truck off to the side and turn the headlights on?
The advantage of using a black back ground is when the subject of the photo is illuminated. The camera will automatically focus on the strongest source of light, in this case the tree, and in doing so really deepens the black of the back ground. If you want this to really work you need to move the tree more forward away from the black background, this causes the subject to really pop and the background to really deepen. As it is now I can still see the detail of in the black material. You need the depth of field to be shortened to eliminate the detail in the background.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As of today, pretty much the same as last pic I guess, that was near the end of the season and juniper growing season just starting up again now. It didn’t do a whole lot last year but that was a repot year and I expect more this season. I’ll be getting into foliage maintenance now and the wires may have to come off, hope not but I’ll be watching. I doubt that I’ll go for a thorough restyle this season but should by next.

The real reason for the update is just to say that I’m very happy to say that the @sorce pot made it through its first zone 3 winter just fine, claw and all!! Sweet.3D04F4BD-E4E1-4F58-BEF0-205BC940093C.jpeg

Last edited:

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The advantage of using a black back ground is when the subject of the photo is illuminated. The camera will automatically focus on the strongest source of light, in this case the tree, and in doing so really deepens the black of the back ground. If you want this to really work you need to move the tree more forward away from the black background, this causes the subject to really pop and the background to really deepen. As it is now I can still see the detail of in the black material. You need the depth of field to be shortened to eliminate the detail in the background.

Sorry Vance, same old set-up. I did hear you but you know, priorities, it’s still better than nothing. Someday I’ll act on your advice above for sure.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Are you thinning or trimming runners to ramify the foliage into pads?
I think it needs the foliage to be a bit more structured. It could still look wild (which I think is part of your objective), but right now the canopy impresses me as a bit of a bad hair day - just threads going every which way, thick or thin.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I think it needs the foliage to be a bit more structured. It could still look wild (which I think is part of your objective), but right now the canopy impresses me as a bit of a bad hair day - just threads going every which way, thick or thin.
I think you are right. The modern concept of ramifying Junipers makes for Junipers that look like the owner has no clue about compacting the foileage. I am a proponent of pinching and I know there are people that say I am ruining Junipers by doing this. Understanding that I have not fooled around with domestic Junipers like this one the concept of pinching and cutting back may indeed be a lost cause.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you are right. The modern concept of ramifying Junipers makes for Junipers that look like the owner has no clue about compacting the foileage. I am a proponent of pinching and I know there are people that say I am ruining Junipers by doing this. Understanding that I have not fooled around with domestic Junipers like this one the concept of pinching and cutting back may indeed be a lost cause.

This bit of work was simply removing the long single interior fronds and weak foliage. The tips and runners were left alone. I’ve found that doing this alone triggers more useful interior growth that can then be ramified after it grows a bit. So, this first, cut backs later with some judicious pinching in select areas. I don’t mind the wild hair day for now. I think I have a good strategy here but it will take time.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This spring I pruned a bit more. Removed some small branches that did put foliage where I wanted it to be but wasn’t satisfied with the route they took to get there. Removed all the wire, it was biting in. CA427BE6-3357-484C-8CFC-ED09E1621BDF.jpeg

Today started rewiring. I kind of wanted to wait till the tree was more ready as I mentioned in last years post above, but just wanted to see how it would look I guess. Probably about 2/3rds done time wise here I hope. 0A0AA8CD-E916-42FE-87CE-568DDF7B328C.jpeg

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So.
Maybe some folks are wondering why I’ve haven’t been here posting, chatting..

Well, I guess I live a bit like a bear. Not hibernating but much of my work is seasonal. When the ground thaws and snow melts things can get a bit crazy. This year repotting season came and went and most of my trees hadn’t even been removed from winter mulch yet. Everything I wanted to get done with trees was driving me crazy cause I couldn’t get to any of it. So, made the call early in the season to just stop worrying about it, do what really needed doing and carry on with life. Good call, nice summer, family time, river time. Trees are just fine if a little shaggy and what not. No loss of interest or desire
Next year I giv’er😄😄😄.

654DBBE2-F9C1-44C7-95B9-A46BC617D027.jpeg

Top Bottom