rnlabarnes 6yr JBP Contest Thread Entry

Reaction score
I have the same feeling. I tend to forget what I do faster and faster. Nice to follow people who started earlier so I can pick some tricks.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a couple more things to report.

1st - The batch 2 cuttings taken around 28MAR, now two weeks old are doing well. I pulled one last night and the callus is looking good with base starting to swell. Something to note that I am doing differently. I originally kept batch 1 cuttings covered with humidity domes for around 3-4 weeks and started slowly removing at night. This batch I left the domes on for about a week and decided to try off. Now it is a little different this time of year. The wind at nighttime has slowed overall and there is less temp flux between nighttime and daytime. Since the wind slowed down some I figured I would try without the domes. The second and larger portions of batch 2 have been left completely uncovered for about 1.5 weeks now and I have only lost 1. 1 casualty out of a 100 or so from the second batch.

2cd - Batch 1 cuttings, a little over 4 weeks old now are rooted and being moved slowly into the sun. They are looking good overall. I am slowly, over the coarse of several weeks, plan to bring them more and more into the sun. Not sure when to start fertilizing. Will probably wait till may for that.

3rd - Batch 3 is looking nice. The seedcases are coming off and starting to grow good. I have to admit, these are easier to start from seed then I was thinking they were going to be. I have tried overwatering some to see if I can kill them and its pretty hard. I did find this very interesting seedling coming up the other day. Not sure if its still alive but it definitely looked very cool.

Albino JBP...

albino JBP.jpg

I still have probably 300 seedlings in the large flat from Batch 2. Ive been pulling them from time to time just to look at the roots and how they are developing. I did find this pretty strange looking one just barely sticking out of the soil. When pulled, this is what I found.
Survival JBP.jpg

It looks like a bird either broke it off just below its first root or it re-rooted after it was broke and fell back in medium. Either way I thought it was pretty cool.

Reaction score
Cool albino. I didn't cover the cuttings or the seedlings last time but I have a polytunnel/greenhouse. I'm afraid of mold and the weaning process. Haven't seen covering in nature... It's 40 degree c (100 Fahrenheit) easy in the greenhouse.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Its official batch 3 of my seedlings are ready for seedling cuttings. Planted out on 17MAR. A little over 5 weeks from start to being able to take cuttings.

I have not made up my mind if im going to start more yet. Out of all 150 + seedling cuttings ive started, only 1 has died so far. I have roughly 30 or so that are almost in full sun (8am till about 3pm) and will be moved to more sun in a few weeks.

I am going to let these keep growing till I make my mind up. I might end up taking a few of the most vigorous and only trimming the tap root a little and potting up into containers. We will see. I have a ton of other rooted cuttings to deal with soon and make soil for.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a great thread and I really love your approach. Some years ago I got my son to do a school science project with coleus cuttings in various media to see which did the best. It was fun and he learned a lot. He's my repotting helper! As I was up to about 4,000 indoor plants this past year, he has been invaluable and it's been a great way for him to earn a little money helping me. You might need to recruit a helper yourself! With our moving to NC I cut my indoor collection down to about 1,000 plants and now I'll be starting all these seeds for bonsai... I don't know how my husband puts up with me! Keep up your great and inspiring start with your JBPs!

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Batch 1 cuttings- plant tone organic fertilizer started this weekend. About a tablespoon per pot. Maybe a little less. Sprinkled on soil.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here are some current pics.

Batch 3 seedlings.. They are ready to start cuttings on but still haven't decided whether I will do more. I might do a few of the fastest this weekend.

IMG_2942.JPG

Close up of the corner.
IMG_2941.JPG

Here is the pine from batch 1 where I trimmed the tap root only, potted in my regular mix and stuck in full sun. Its still the biggest of my first batch.

IMG_2943.JPG

Here is the rest of the batch 1 cuttings. There are a few others on the right that I only trimmed the tap root on. These are the ones that I started the ferts on this past weekend.

IMG_2944.JPG

Some close up pics.

IMG_2945.JPGIMG_2946.JPGIMG_2947.JPG

definitely have some yellowing going on. I think my water is a little alkaline. We haven't had hardly any of our spring rain.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had also just sprayed these pretty hard with daconil two days ago.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
An update on the batch 1 cuttings. These have been fertilized for a few weeks and been in strong sun for about a month or so. I moved to stronger sun this morning. They are definitely starting to grow.

These are two pics of batch 1 cuttings just to show how some are looking.

IMG_3016.jpg

IMG_3015.jpg

This is the photo of my largest where only a portion of the tap root was removed. This is by far my largest and is setting buds, 2 I believe. Seems like the fertilizer i applied might have sunk down in the soil mix.
IMG_3020.jpg

Batch 2 cuttings got moved to the sun last weekend. They are doing ok i guess. A little yellow but my other ones did that at first when moved to the sun too.

IMG_3017.jpg

This is my fourth batch of semi cuttings that were started from my batch 2 seedlings. These were about the biggest left. I pulled up about 50 and picked the ones that either allready had lower buds forming or had a compact root system. I simply trimmed the tap root some on these. Did not do the seedling cuttings as i want to make some tall trees also. Probably will do a little more like this. I have a whole box of seedlings jam packed from my batch 3 seedlings.

IMG_3019.jpg

here are some pics of the cutting process.
IMG_2972.jpgIMG_2971.jpgIMG_2968.jpg

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great post! I wouldn’t worry about the first baby needles dying off because that is normal on Pine seedlings I have seen. They are looking good! Your largest seeding looks to have a branch started on the left. Mine don’t come out of the fridge until the end of the month.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great post! I wouldn’t worry about the first baby needles dying off because that is normal on Pine seedlings I have seen. They are looking good! Your largest seeding looks to have a branch started on the left. Mine don’t come out of the fridge until the end of the month.
thank you. I was wondering about that a month or so ago but figured it was at least somewhat normal. They did it when i moved them out into the sun.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
thank you. I was wondering about that a month or so ago but figured it was at least somewhat normal. They did it when i moved them out into the sun.
Those first needles are the pine seedling’s cotyledon needles and only temporary just like the cotyledon false leaves on others.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
More fertilizer added to batch 1 cuttings (cuttings from 4-MAR) and also gave Batch 2A (27-MAR) fertilizer since they have been in the sun for a little bit and rooted. Im starting to move batch 2B, 2C and 2D into more light. 2B and 2C will hopefully get moved out into full sun if i can find a spot for them. My sun spots are filling up quick.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A quick update.. Just applied my third application of granular fertilizer. Looking pretty good besides some dam caterpillars.

This is a shot of one of my largest cuttings growing from batch 1 cuttings. I have several around this size.

IMG_3175.jpg

Here is a shot of my largest of all of them. This one has been posted alot as it has always been my largest. On this one, i just trimmed the tap root and planted in full sun.
IMG_3177.jpg

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Its official batch 3 of my seedlings are ready for seedling cuttings. Planted out on 17MAR. A little over 5 weeks from start to being able to take cuttings.

I have not made up my mind if im going to start more yet. Out of all 150 + seedling cuttings ive started, only 1 has died so far. I have roughly 30 or so that are almost in full sun (8am till about 3pm) and will be moved to more sun in a few weeks.

I am going to let these keep growing till I make my mind up. I might end up taking a few of the most vigorous and only trimming the tap root a little and potting up into containers. We will see. I have a ton of other rooted cuttings to deal with soon and make soil for.
You are doing a great job of tracking your project and posing all the right questions. As i read through your posts it occurs to me that you could consider more fertiliser if you wish. Not required but will enhance the results. I just spent the last three days pruning developing five year pines to prevent faults in development and encourage desired results. Reflecting on your question whether to plant more seeds? I planted approximately 150 per year for six years in a row. Space is now a consideration, along with soil, containers, water etc. Time is also a critical factor particularly because i am after quality not quantity. It takes quite a bit of time to wire, unwire, repot and care for developing trees properly. The key factors are time, space and resources. This year i expect to spend approximately 1 hour per tree in development. The time will increase with changes from development to refinement over the next five to ten years. 4 inch containers have changed to grow beds, then grow boxes and space for light and air roughly 4 sq ft per tree. Been there doing that. Next up dealing with the Tridents, and assorted Japanese Maples 200 plus, then Zelkova, Persimmon,Japanese Pepper,Korean Hornbeam, Japanese Red Pine. I think passionate Bonsai practitioners might require a twelve step program.:eek:

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
This is an awesome thread. Great progression. I just took about 6 of mine and root pruned them. I have them in my downstairs enclosure next to a window. Its humid as all hell in there. All the doors and windows are open. Do you think they will be ok there or do they need bright shade outside? I still have about 50 more to do but they aren't ready yet.

window-pines.jpg

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is an awesome thread. Great progression. I just took about 6 of mine and root pruned them. I have them in my downstairs enclosure next to a window. Its humid as all hell in there. All the doors and windows are open. Do you think they will be ok there or do they need bright shade outside? I still have about 50 more to do but they aren't ready yet.

View attachment 198340
I would suggest moving them outside, the air movement and extra sunlight is beneficial.

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
I would suggest moving them outside, the air movement and extra sunlight is beneficial.

But they cant get direct sunlight? THe only other place I can put them is under my deck where they will get about 4 hours of sun in the morning, is that too much?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
But they cant get direct sunlight? THe only other place I can put them is under my deck where they will get about 4 hours of sun in the morning, is that too much?
JBP do well in the sun, not so well in shade! I gather from your comments that your sun and or heat is extreme at this point! Or you are wishing to adapt them slowly from inside to outside? I moved my seedlings out to full sun all day within 14 weeks. I am in a full sun southern exposure temperatures range 70-90 F during the day in my location. Florida location i am not familiar with what are your temperatures like this time of year?

Top Bottom