Roadside pick up. Thoughts?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I’m mainly into Bald Cypress so it not having drainage holes I don’t think is an issue.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 74
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 65
I’m mainly into Bald Cypress so it not having drainage holes I don’t think is an issue.
is it some type of concrete? It looks real big so I wonder how heavy it is.

Edit. Looking closer it looks fibrous, like fiber glass?

I only ask because big trees are heavy. Paired with big pots even heavier. No matter how strong you are, heavy tree pot combos may be a taxing move around your garden. Otherwise, no reason it wouldn’t work unless the material itself leached into the roots and caused problems to the tree

Need to find an intermediate pot for this guy before I buy a real one from Wigerts

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    363 KB · Views: 71
is it some type of concrete? It looks real big so I wonder how heavy it is.

Edit. Looking closer it looks fibrous, like fiber glass?

I only ask because big trees are heavy. Paired with big pots even heavier. No matter how strong you are, heavy tree pot combos may be a taxing move around your garden. Otherwise, no reason it wouldn’t work unless the material itself leached into the roots and caused problems to the tree
Thank you, this is good advice. I think the bottom portion is fiber glass, the rest is concrete.
The tree I had in mind for it is indeed heavy on its own. I was able to dig it up and carry it to my car but once potted I need my brothers help to move it and that’s just in a black plastic training pot.
Either way, this tree is going to require mechanical assistance to move by myself

Thank you, this is good advice. I think the bottom portion is fiber glass, the rest is concrete.
The tree I had in mind for it is indeed heavy on its own. I was able to dig it up and carry it to my car but once potted I need my brothers help to move it and that’s just in a black plastic training pot.
Either way, this tree is going to require mechanical assistance to move by myself
Quite a few members own Gorilla Carts to help move big trees. Unfortunately, if we own big trees for as long as we want to, we eventually experience difficulties that the facts of life bring on! Wether that be aging or just an injured back from a gym injury. Don’t want to discourage you, just things to think about.

Something like this. Pretty sure they can be found cheaper somewhere.

My friends thought I was crazy when I showed them a picture of the large bonsai pot I’m going to buy (eventually). Wait until they hear I’m going to get a hand truck/jack to help move the tree once it’s in said pot.

My back thanks you for the recommendation

Back
Top Bottom