Robinia pseudoacacia

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice. Like this. Love how the bark has progressed. Got some kind of style in mind yet?

I'm thinking umbrella style. With the compound leaves, I don't think I could get away with anything else. I've kept the hemline branch to add interest to a straight trunk.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah man. Now we're talking. That is its natural style to. I have a few different trees that i'm playing umbrella with. It's a fun style for me. Please keep this updated as I'm eager to see its progression. Good luck man ;)

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You are in New Mexico, I think your purple flowered tree is Robinia x margarettiae (hispida x psuedoacacia) if it is growing as a human planted landscape tree. The hybrid x margarettiae can propagate itself by seed and by root sprouts, so if any of the hybrid were planted in the area your purple locust is likely this hybrid. The hybrid's flowers can range from nearly white to very dark purple pink. The darker color forms are the ones most often planted on purpose.
Check it out, @Leo in N E Illinois. Looks like the flowers are going to be creamy white! This despite the fact that it was a seedling volunteer from seeds spread by landscape trees at my office that have magenta flowers. It was five feet tall when I collected it and this is the first time it's ever bloomed. I'll start a progression thread once I have photos of it in full bloom.
IMG_3915.JPG

nave htims

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Update? I can't seem to find any other examples of black locust bonsai besides this thread.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've got a couple in the ground that I may try digging and potting next spring. Unfortunately, though, they appear to be flowering "duds". They are all root suckers from a mother tree in my yard which, at least so far (and it's probably 30 feet tall now), is not a profuse bloomer. Without that, I'm not sure I see much reason to try to make bonsai out of them.

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've got a couple in the ground that I may try digging and potting next spring. Unfortunately, though, they appear to be flowering "duds". They are all root suckers from a mother tree in my yard which, at least so far (and it's probably 30 feet tall now), is not a profuse bloomer. Without that, I'm not sure I see much reason to try to make bonsai out of them.
I dug 2 this spring and with very few roots at collection they both are surviving well. If you do try to dig them they seem pretty easy.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Update? I can't seem to find any other examples of black locust bonsai besides this thread.
Here’s my progression thread: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/robinia-pseudoacacia-progression.28027/
I did a major restyle this spring. It then had some damage from a freeze that wasn’t in the forecast, so I lost the blooms this year. Other than that, the tree didn’t care. Right now it’s overgrown. I’ll post an update if I give it a haircut.

Top Bottom