Rock Slab Source?

Q-Bonsai

Mame
Reaction score
Where is a good source for rock slabs for planting? I can't seem to find any! Everybody I ask just says that they found it....

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Try a google search for "Flagstone near -x-" Usually landscaping companies will have a ton of different "rocks" to choose from.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
I grew up in Houston and you are going to have to buy a slab...the only stones to find in or near Houston are chunks of concrete:)

There are stone yards all across Houston...check a couple out...Tell them what you are looking for and most of the time they will let you pull from pallets if it is just a piece. My favorite is San Jacinto Stone...somewhere off 59 and Yale inside the loop. About 10 or 12 years ago I shipped 3000#s of some very unique stone from there to S. Carolina....doubt I could afford that today!

You can also make your own with a little sand, portland cemet, and metal lathe...you'll probably want to practice once or twice before you go for the real thing...its not hard but there is some technique needed to make it look natural. Somewhere on my youtube channel, linked below, I have a couple how to videos. I was never really happy with the results but you can see the process.

John

Nomiyama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good advice John. I've watched your videos for making slabs on youtube and they are very informative. I'm going to give it a try this spring, hopefully I can make a decent size one. You can also check out this guys site http://www.bonsaijack.com/slabs.html I was thinking about ordering one from him if I cant make my own.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Slabs, there are no riverbeds in Texas? I always find them in river beds, especially in Ohio.

ed

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have a creek on my property with all kinds of flat rocks there not real strong but if your interested i can take some pictures and you can cover my gas to ups maybe $10 and pay them with a card over the phone. Some even have fossils exposed on the tops. Not sure what kind they are but where the clay bottom stops it becomes flat rock heaven for about 200 yards then drops off to gravel. The kind of rock you couldn't brake over your knee but can brake over another rock.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Found a couple pics on my phone of an dwarf hemlock I planted on one of these stones.
image.jpg
image.jpg
And a before
image.jpg

Q-Bonsai

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks John, I will definitely look into it! The problem I find is that most retailers that sell for landscape use have slabs with square/flat edges making the slab look very man made. Straight lines just aren't natural ;) I thought about using many smaller pieces and stack them on top of teach other?

macnut

Seedling
Reaction score
i've used granite slabs in saikei. You can carefully chip away the edges of that to create a natural looking edge. I use hammers, chisels and pliers for detail work. Not sure if the stone you will be using would be amenable to this technique.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a creek on my property with all kinds of flat rocks there not real strong but if your interested i can take some pictures and you can cover my gas to ups maybe $10 and pay them with a card over the phone. Some even have fossils exposed on the tops. Not sure what kind they are but where the clay bottom stops it becomes flat rock heaven for about 200 yards then drops off to gravel. The kind of rock you couldn't brake over your knee but can brake over another rock.

Those are what I am talking about Reclaimed, I see you are a fellow Buckeye, lol. These are in about every creek or riverbed in the state. I get the ones with the fossils, sometimes I will use cement and make it into a pot with the fragments you find around them adding some different ones for looks at other times. I lay them similar to the foundations you see on the old houses in Ohio, sort of like laying bricks.

ed

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Slabs from a reconditioned slate roof work. (the half round trough-like things in the back of the first pic are also roofing tiles.)

Attachments

• SLAB3.JPG
    SLAB3.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 141
  • 5-12 landscape 8.JPG
    5-12 landscape 8.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 141
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hey Ed, I think I've seen a stone wall pot on here. Might have to try one. I'm in Johnstown. And the slate I've got a few hundred of them and was thinking of useing a couple to plant in the ground on top of. Looks good as a slab. Seems they might be a little fragile especially when wet. Do you have to do anything special like slide it onto a tray to move it?

youngsai

Mame
Reaction score
Hey, I work with stone and stone slabs to carve out some very nice looking rock pots. I'll post some pics but I can show you the steps to carve them beautiful using quite available material. The grey slabs in Home Depot work fine as long as you carve movement in them. The way I carve them they end up being quite light because of the carving out the bulk of the center.

youngsai

Mame
Reaction score
Reallythe only single tool you would need is an angle grinder, with an angle grinder you really could do everything needed to make it look quite craggy and natural.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Seems they might be a little fragile especially when wet. Do you have to do anything special like slide it onto a tray to move it?

Nope. They carry a lot of weight.

Reallythe only single tool you would need is an angle grinder, with an angle grinder you really could do everything needed to make it look quite craggy and natural.

PLEASE don't forget the eye protection!!!!!!!

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks John, I will definitely look into it! The problem I find is that most retailers that sell for landscape use have slabs with square/flat edges making the slab look very man made. Straight lines just aren't natural ;) I thought about using many smaller pieces and stack them on top of teach other?

Find a place that just sells rock/stone products in your area. They will have pallets of a WIDE variety of shapes and sizes of flagstone and most times very reasonable. The one near us keeps all of the broken large pieces and sells those as well.

Grimmy

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have gotten alot of granite and marble slabs from countertop fabricators. The pieces they cut out for kitchen and bathroom sinks are scrap and they are usually glad to get rid of them. I avoid the ones that have epoxy and webbing on the backs. These pieces are weak and do not chisel and chip well, but most others can be dressed out with a hammer and chisel. You can also stack and epoxy pieces then chisel and chip to create elevations and contours. The only draw back is they're quite heavy.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Stone applications for fireplaces, patios, walkways are at an all-time high. You should be able to find a stone company pretty close to you that would sell stones. It is a really cheap way to do things. I've done some large group plantings on 3 foot by 2.5 foot black flagstone that cost me around $30-$45. Much cheaper than the $350 pot for the same size. They usually sell by the pound.

You do have to do some sorting. You can have a straight edge on the back and no one will notice. You can also make the edge you want on certain types of stone with some pliers, rubber mallet or any of a host of other redneck ways! Explosives don't work well though...not saying how I know!!

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've made some nice slabs using 16" and 18" travertine tiles. Travertine is much lighter than granite or marble and alot easier to work. From an 18" tile cut diagonal I can get a 23" slab about 10" wide or cut in half for two 18x9's.

Attachments

• New slabs 004.jpg
    New slabs 004.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 101
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 116
Top Bottom