Sage Brush

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Tom,
Experience was a cruel teacher....
I had to get one each for my friend and I to bring back to Ohio. I was told by SEVERAL folks out there that they will not thrive and will probably die in Ohio...why?...Too humid and wet, too much rain. They will tend to rot along soil/bark line most probably.
Pooeyy! says I, I can control that.
I knew a couple from Cleveland area who took the sage shohin workshop.
well, theirs died FAST.
And mine and my buddys ( kept by two different experienced people) died fast.
Now, it's possible they were never established befoe being sold. Who knows, but...
Been there....done that....having T-shirt printed!

Leave them here....

http://pages.prodigy.net/dalecochoy/
go to "Articles" and then "Canyon of Inspiration"

Dale

....... SIGH ........

Dale, I appreciate the input. I will do my best not to rebel against experience. However don't shake your head ruefully if I have a moment of weakness.;)

Dale Cochoy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
....... SIGH ........

Dale, I appreciate the input. I will do my best not to rebel against experience. However don't shake your head ruefully if I have a moment of weakness.;)

OK Tom....
Collect-on dude!!

Attachments

• waynes_world_1.jpg
    waynes_world_1.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 101

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Please keep us posted regarding what you learn with this species. I am a native to the area where they are native and I miss them terribly. My memories of growing up in South Central Colorado are very intertwined with the smell of sage and the Junipers and the taste of Piñon nuts.

*Remembers he is stuck in Vegas and sighs deeply longing for real trees...*

Reaction score
Here is an update on the sage that I have collected in 2006. I have had 100% success with these so far (I hope I just didn't jinx myself...knock on wood). When collected it was march and april and they were dormant. I was able to get most of the roots, which is essential due to how these grow.

They were repotted this spring. The roots were quite healthy and numerous. I did not prune the roots at all for each branch has its own set of roots. Trim the roots and the branch dies. Some of the sage are not centered in their pots since the roots on some only are coming from one side.

IMG_0849.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0875.jpg
    IMG_0875.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0863.jpg
    IMG_0863.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0868.jpg
    IMG_0868.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0864.jpg
    IMG_0864.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0862.jpg
    IMG_0862.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 154

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Excellent! I love these! If I ever get back home I may try some. Please keep as much species tips as possible. Sounds like you are learning much about the root habits that could trip someone up.

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Holy schnikeys those are nice looking! I love the second and fifth ones!

Boondock

Shohin
Reaction score
I lived in southern Idaho for 8 years while in the military. One of the things I miss most is the wide, high deserts, full of sagebrush. So fragrant during the spring rains.

You've done good work.

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I had a similar experience as Dale... got a beautiful sage (A. tridentawhatever) collected from Utah... brought it to the east coast and the roots quickly rotted (within a few weeks!)

I think it was the akadama though... the soil would never really dry out. The mix was fine for a drier climate but not the north east. It might have made it (longer) if it was in 100% inorganic. I still feel sad when I think about it... such a stunning piece of material.

They MUST be able to tolerate wet and humid if imholte is keeping them in oregon.

The wood is very soft and they seem to be native to drier climates...?

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Amkhalid, pardon me for speaking on Ed's(Imholte) behalf, but he lives in apart of part Oregon that is very desert like, ponderosa pines, sagebrush, and even some cactus. It's a big and very geographically diverse state.
Mike

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Updates?

I have not seen Tom or Ed post on here in a good long time. If you guys are out there, could you update this thread?

Reaction score
Yes I lived in an area that they occur naturally, but I have recently moved to Eugene which is a very pacific northwest type area that gets lots of rain. They have spent the last 6 months in this area and are doing fine.

I have been watering them everyday, the same as all my other trees, and they are putting out alot of growth.

Reaction score
This spring I am returning to South Central Colorado to collect some material that was marked last fall. While I was there I studied sage brush and found that at least initially it looked promising as bonsai material. It's attributes were very similar to European Olive. Its my intention to collect a few specimens and try. I was wondering if any of you western folk have insight into this plant or any advise about collection. As I can not find any reference in print or electronically:(

Edit: I should correct myself, Pacific Rim Nursery hints at the fact that it might make a good bonsai and/or Penjing

i live in wyoming and sagebrush are frickin everywhere. i have tried to bonsai them without much success. they seem to die fairly quickly after digging them up so i don't know how good they will be. the tap root goes really deep into the ground to get water so you might try to dig one up that is near a water source with roots that are more spread out in the topsoil.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Sadly neither Ed, nor Tom post here anymore. However, Ed had pretty good success. Search his threads.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There was a workshop with sagebrush as bonsai at the Denver ABS/BCI convetnion in June last year... but I have no idea how aything turned out... or is holding up...

A couple of our club members here have also used it with some success, but I don't personally have any experience, other than a couple of dead plants..lol

Reaction score
I dont post anymore, but lurk through here often.

I have sold several of the ones I had, and a few have died. Dont think they like the wet part or Oregon, probably need the frigid long cold dry winters and hot dry summers of their native land. Still have one left that is alive.

The species of sagebrush I had would be hard to grow for bonsai, not sure about the other species. I dont touch the roots since it seems that each branch has its own root and if you cut that root, that branch will die. The ones I collected were pretty old and knarly and that is why wanted them. Be good for an accent or just a cool plant to have. The new growth you might be able to wire but the old wood will not take wire, it will just crack and snap. I think these are closer to perennials then trees.

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey Ed,
Good to see you. Been a long time. How's life?

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
If I could draw an analogy between sagebrush and another plant, it would probably be rosemary and/or potentilla. But that is just based on superficial characteristics. Sagebrush likes a DRY climate, as imholte mentioned.

Roman

Seed
Reaction score
Having lived in northern New Mexico and now in Colorado, these sages are everywhere. The look like natural bonsai. I recently dug up a couple of them and so far, so good. They are in very heavy clay soil, so it'll be interesting to experiment once they stabilize...

Top Bottom