San Jose questions

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks Grimmy! The "norm" isn't the place I'm comfortable in, so I must have done my job.

I have always had an appreciation for your Art, keep at it! You had a Cascade Pot in a DC show if I remember correct... Good stuff!

Grimmy

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I have always had an appreciation for your Art, keep at it! You had a Cascade Pot in a DC show if I remember correct... Good stuff!

Grimmy
I had 5 in the show...2 cascades....thanks for noticing!

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

Grimmy
Did you ever put a tree in the one you got from me?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Did you ever put a tree in the one you got from me?

I had three tridents in it and lost them all along with all our deciduous trees last Spring due to pseudomonas syringae. It, along with most all of my pots have been cleaned, treated, oiled, and are in storage. I am having a bit of landscape done soon to straighten out drainage and have been "testing" conditions with a wide range of plants and trees that were lost. I expect that pot will be back in service next year if all goes good ;)

Grimmy

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I had three tridents in it and lost them all along with all our deciduous trees last Spring due to pseudomonas syringae. It, along with most all of my pots have been cleaned, treated, oiled, and are in storage. I am having a bit of landscape done soon to straighten out drainage and have been "testing" conditions with a wide range of plants and trees that were lost. I expect that pot will be back in service next year if all goes good ;)

Grimmy
Wow... Sorry about the nasties. Glad to hear it didn't stop you from carrying on. Cheers to you!

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thought I'd update. One thing to notice is the deadwood has been treated with 3 coats of marine epoxy and then it in turn was treated with lime sulfur to remove the shine. It no longer grows algae on it...a least in a 1-1/2 years. Also the deadwood is not bright white but more of a buff color.

Attachments

• IMG_3564.JPG
    IMG_3564.JPG
    312.2 KB · Views: 87
  • _MG_0726.jpg
    _MG_0726.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 90

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thought I'd update. One thing to notice is the deadwood has been treated with 3 coats of marine epoxy and then it in turn was treated with lime sulfur to remove the shine. It no longer grows algae on it...a least in a 1-1/2 years. Also the deadwood is not bright white but more of a buff color.
Very nice tree and it never looked better.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The tree was outgrowing its silhouette. It was so thick I couldn't see where to thin it, so I decided to clip its toenails. Removed a major front branch that was obstructing some of the upper trunk and shading the front lower branches. It's a "big ugly" now so that by the fall it's just a "little ugly". Moving forward!!

Attachments

• IMG_3564.JPG
    IMG_3564.JPG
    188.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3689.JPG
    IMG_3689.JPG
    184.9 KB · Views: 70

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Love the transformation. It has really filled out nicely since your first post. Do you still feel that thinning the adult foliage has stimulated new growth?

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Love the transformation. It has really filled out nicely since your first post. Do you still feel that thinning the adult foliage has stimulated new growth?
San Joses' will never fully transform to adult growth. It's always a mix. So I cut the adult growth off as it forms. I "think" the chop will stimulate juvenile growth. That'll teach that adult growth who's boss. What surprised me was how much caliper the branching has put on in a few years. 2012 to 2019 might be hard to ell from photos.

Attachments

• _MG_0726.jpg
    _MG_0726.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3689.JPG
    IMG_3689.JPG
    184.9 KB · Views: 66

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
San Joses' will never fully transform to adult growth. It's always a mix. So I cut the adult growth off as it forms. I "think" the chop will stimulate juvenile growth. That'll teach that adult growth who's boss. What surprised me was how much caliper the branching has put on in a few years. 2012 to 2019 might be hard to ell from photos.
I have a couple of san joses myself. I'll try your techniques when I get them back to health after repotting. You have a really nice specimen.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I have a couple of san joses myself. I'll try your techniques when I get them back to health after repotting. You have a really nice specimen.
Thanks. Everyone wants to graft shimpaku on to these guys. I like it for the grand prick it really is, especially when you prune it ?

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Amazing little grower or should I say BIG. Wow it fills in fast!! This thing is getting hard for me to handle and it's not that much fun to work on anymore....oouch!!
Spring 2019 to 2020 before pruning.

Attachments

• IMG_3689.JPG
    IMG_3689.JPG
    214.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3924.JPG
    IMG_3924.JPG
    232.1 KB · Views: 71

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great thread as usual. I really enjoy your trees and your tree/pot combinations!

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Haha I was photographing this tree yesterday along with two other san jose's. I had no idea it was yours, maybe the others are too(?). Your general style is one of my favorite's on the forum. If the tree were a little bit smaller I would have considered buying it for myself

Top Bottom