Satsuki Azalea ‘Kinsai’

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice! They’re tough to find, be sure to post yours when you get it. Hopefully you got pix of it in bloom when you bought it, so you know it has those characteristic deep red, narrow flower petals. Not all Kinsai have or keep those traits, unfortunately, and you just don’t know unless it’s blooming.

I have had very limited success with cuttings; I have 2 weak survivors from my 2019 attempt. I brought mine in this AM for a haircut, and I think I’ll try another batch. Maybe by this time next year, I’ll have a few more survivors...won’t know for a while (hint hint to seekers😉).
Very nice azalea for sure. Did you have any success with the cuttings? If you did would like to get one if I could.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Very nice azalea for sure. Did you have any success with the cuttings? If you did would like to get one if I could.
Some survivors, but nothing to sell yet. They need a couple years to show if their flowers are good.
904B9DD1-7F26-4BCE-8F68-089A649F755B.jpeg3B3F445B-637F-49CB-A380-822532ACCC3B.jpegBF5117D7-1F1F-4CCC-9BC3-DBC68FB9C1DD.jpeg

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Congrats on the survivors. They are looking good.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’ve got a number of 3 yr olds, but have to wait until they flower before each proves themselves true to type

Try Shannon at Kusa-farm. I know he has some Kinsai as well as Hi no Maru and Nikko etc. I’ve bought a number of young satsuki from him, all were good stock.

cheers
DSD sends

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks I will check them out.
I’ve got a number of 3 yr olds, but have to wait until they flower before each proves themselves true to type

Try Shannon at Kusa-farm. I know he has some Kinsai as well as Hi no Maru and Nikko etc. I’ve bought a number of young satsuki from him, all were good stock.

cheers
DSD sends

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
How bad was the damage? Obviously the pot is done but it looks as though the rootball has held together well. Did the branching suffer much?

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
How bad was the damage? Obviously the pot is done but it looks as though the rootball has held together well. Did the branching suffer much?
Craziest thing, no tree damage, The pot got hung up on the retaining wall and the tree never hit the ground.

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Whoa, yeah that is how I interpreted the picture too. First it fell of the bench, and the pot broke, taking the impact, and saving the tree. But then it was about to fall off that wall/straits, exactly on the weakest point, apex first into the concrete blocks. But the pot saved the tree again by dangling it on the edge.
Shame about the pot, it looked very nice. But a nice pot can be bought or baked. Especially with this neageri style, it can be quite fragile.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Craziest thing, no tree damage, The pot got hung up on the retaining wall and the tree never hit the ground.
Thankful for that, but so sorry for the pot, it was such a beautiful match. Maybe a good candidate for Kintsugi?

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thankful for that, but so sorry for the pot, it was such a beautiful match. Maybe a good candidate for Kintsugi?
Maybe, but there are lots of pieces. Never seen a Bunzan quite like this one, certainly not as big. Been thinking about swapping to an antique Chinese round Namako…then strapping it to the bench!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
What a shame about the Bunzan pot, it was a real beauty. But thankfully the trees is Ok and I like the new pot as well.

Top Bottom