Sea Green Juniper

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
I'm gonna post this due to Brents kind words on the Hollywood thread.

Sea green is everywhehe around here. I have more than a dozen in my back yard alone. They are very bush shaped , have a tendency to form multiple , very straight trunks and grow in almost anything at a very rapid pace. I've seen a number done as " yard bonsai " and some look pretty good soooooo anyway I took Wills advice and went garden center diving.

Now seems a good time to hit places such as HD and Lowes as they arn't equiped to cary stock over the winter and are basically down to rejects ( often the best bonsai material ) so I dropped in at the nearest Lowes and found some Sae Greens at $10 for 5 gal plants. I chose these two because they start as single trunks , have interesting forma to the bottom area of the trunk and for $10 , I can always plant them in the yard if I screw them up too bad.

I'm thinking of some sort of informal upright with both with lots of jin and shari in the lower trunk. The upper trunks are still thin enough to bend and provide some character. The base of each trunk is
1.75" to 2" on each. All I've done is cut off the long stragely outer foilage in order to encourage back budding next spring. I havn't removed anything within the area of the actual of the potential " bonsai ". Further I'm looking at both of these as experiments. I have a landscaper friend who is constantly pulling these things out to redo landscaping so I want to get some experience before I try my hand at urban yamadori.

Comment away or ignore.

Attachments

• IMG_0964.JPG
    IMG_0964.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0965.JPG
    IMG_0965.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Second tree

Attachments

• IMG_0967.JPG
    IMG_0967.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0969.JPG
    IMG_0969.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 60

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How far back do you intend to chop the trunk(s)? The fact that the trunks seem very straight is another challenge that you'll need to plan for.

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Straight trunks and branches are a trait of sea green , thats why I want the back budding , to produce more branches low down that can be turned into trunk portions. Actually those straight trunks are pretty flexable for a 1/2" branch so I was thinking of trying to bend one into some sort of interesting shape and let it grow that way for a couple of years. Right now I have no idea how far back I'll chop as I still havn't tried shaping.

Top Bottom