Select a Pot for Alaskan Yellow Cedar

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
10 all the way for me if the size is correct, hard to see from the in front photo.
The size is correct by calculation, 10 3/8 inch long, 8 1/2 wide with a depth of 3 inches. (External measurements) Visually the pot profile is approx 25% of the tree's The final determination is best within the pot for sure! The other factor will be the final foliage, although it will only get smaller with refinement. The little extra depth may also be a better feature as cedars prefer to remain moister. Thank you JudyB

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Third up from the bottom.

Can't be plain enough.

Nice

Sorce
One of my top three choices for this tree. Always important to complement not compete as you note. Size and color are spot on. I was wondering about the thicker rim if it was a bit too masculine for the tree? Tokoname , Yamaaki , Toshio signature pot. ( 1960's)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
thicker rim if it was a bit too masculine for the tree?

I see what you mean...

This is a pretty tranny tree for me..

The amount of wood is fem...
But the "mess" of it is rather masc.

The broccoli will determine!

Lively piece! Ok lively! Lovely too!

Sorce

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I see what you mean...

This is a pretty tranny tree for me..

The amount of wood is fem...
But the "mess" of it is rather masc.

The broccoli will determine!

Lively piece! Ok lively! Lovely too!

Sorce
That and the opposite consideration of a bit more masculine pot might provided more of a foundation for the offset. If the broccoli is presented formally then it is a strong contender. If i exceed my expectations with refinement then posssibly #10

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
5, 10 and 6 in that order
6 has a variation in the patina that works with the live vein colours and similar shape to 10. A little bit deeper is the advantage to six. 5 and ten have similar depth but the round shape of 5 gives slightly better volume for root mass. Three good choices. Thanks

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Personally, I think number one is the only way to go. There is so much wonderful motion and visual tension in that trunk that any decoration at all is superfluous, and would detract from the tree's considerable impact. With that much dead wood and the textural contrast, the pot should be unglazed, or at the very least, not glossy.
I have an azalea that would look pretty sweet in #2, though.

Top Bottom