Separating air layer

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One thing I prefer to do it to cut to size before layering, or perhaps when roots have started. Wait for regrowth (And in the best case, callusing of wounds). You coulc really develop a bonsai on the tree, before layering. In your case, nce you have roots, why not cut to size, wait for new branches to pop and then cut off the motherplant?

cdefoe

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
One thing I prefer to do it to cut to size before layering, or perhaps when roots have started. Wait for regrowth (And in the best case, callusing of wounds). You coulc really develop a bonsai on the tree, before layering. In your case, nce you have roots, why not cut to size, wait for new branches to pop and then cut off the motherplant?

this makes sense, thank you. as a follow up, if i don't have enough roots where i would feel comfortable separating it this year (zone 4 us - average first frost is mid/late september to early october), can i cut it back this fall while leaving the air layer on, then separate in the spring? or, because i don't have enough roots to safely separate, should i let it be over winter, cut it back in the spring, and then separate once it pushes new growth?

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
the branch being layered has a couple branches coming off it that extend maybe 8' each
I personally would prune those long branches back by half or more after cutting off the layer. A winged elm I did was about 8' tall and after severing, I chopped it down to about 2'

I'm doing a trident and amur this year, and they are both over 12' tall, these will be significantly chopped back, probably only a foot or two tall after collection.

the base of the layer being a diameter around 3.5" to 4".
I've never done a red maple, but a Japanese maple I did that was 3.5" took a year and a half before getting my first root, so just be prepared for it to potentially take a year or more.

can i cut it back this fall while leaving the air layer on, then separate in the spring? or, because i don't have enough roots to safely separate, should i let it be over winter, cut it back in the spring, and then separate once it pushes new growth?
I wouldn't cut it back until you are severing it from the parent tree. Cutting it back before this will greatly reduce its ability to root, slowing down the process of accumulating auxin at the wound site and initiating new roots.

Another tip is to wrap bubble wrap around the layering medium, the air pockets help to insulate the forming roots during a pretty cold winter where they might get damaged.

cdefoe

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
that bubble wrap tip sounds great. i'll have to keep that in mind if i do end up leaving the layer over winter. thanks for the reply

cdefoe

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
if anything would it not provide extra buffer from wind?

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not sure that would bring much
The air pockets would act as a buffer between air temperature flucuations and wind and the core where there may be roots. It's not supposed to prevent freezing, but help soften the effects from freezing and thawing..

Top Bottom