Shade Cloth for Elms...

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hey all! Happy summer... though its only June here in Tucson I'm ready for fall. Within the last few week the temp. has reached a steady 103 106 with no signs of letting up. I just built a little over hang complete with a 30% shade cloth to protect my trees from the sun but didn't seem to help... so I decided to double up making it 60%. Question is... does anybody feel that knocking out 60% of the sun too much? What temps can a Chinese Elm handle?
Thanks,
Aaron

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm not in Arizona, but my Chinese elms (of several different cultivars) can take full sun all year long. They get sprinklered twice per day (morning / afternoon). I live somewhat close to the ocean, so things don't get TOO hot, but we have plenty of days in the 90's with intense sun, and even several days in the 100's. They don't seem to mind...

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
@ Bonsai Nut... Thanks for the reply... My concern is that the pots get so hot that I'm worried that the heat could damage the roots.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I mulched my potted plants (in training pots) to help keep it cooler and it seem to help, as added bonus, the pot do not dry as fast as well.

I have no Chinese elm yet but have a lot of Cedar elm and they are out in full sun.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can bury your pots, or wrap them with a damp towel, or shade just the pot with styrofoam or some insulating material, these will all keep the pot temps down.

bonsaitodd

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I leave my elms all in full sun. That include catlin, cedar elm, and american elm. We get long stretches of 100+ here.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks all! LOL probably should have posted here before built the darn thing!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would be careful in taking advice about heat from those in Cali and Texas:D. Arizona heat is much different than heat in those locations. As they say, "It's a DRY heat" and that makes a tremendous amount of difference in how you protect your trees. Chinese elms left in full sun in desert humidity will be extremely stressed.

The Phoenix Bonsai Society recommends shade cloth
http://www.phoenixbonsai.com/PSeason.html#Summer

I would go with the shade building not only for sun protection, but to help keep humidity levels up. I would seek local advice from the Phoenix society on care.

FWIW, I used to live in Scottsdale way back when and I have relatives in Texas that I have visited for the 50 years. I've compared the heat in both places. Arizona is an arid oven, Texas is a humid deep fryer...

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
@ rockm HAHA! Ok ill give PBS a shout. I'm hoping 60% isn't too much.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I agree with Rockm about heat between TX and AZ not the same but would like to remind you that light and heat are 2 different issues you have to deal with. Your elm need the light and I think reducing it by 60% is not a good move. You should deal with the heat differently. JMHO

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"I agree with Rockm about heat between TX and AZ not the same but would like to remind you that light and heat are 2 different issues you have to deal with. Your elm need the light and I think reducing it by 60% is not a good move. "

I've kept trees under 60 percent shade cloth here in Va. Didn't make that much difference here in the summer as far as growth. Elms need light, but the intense desert sun in Arizona is more than Chinese elm (and a lot of other temperate zone deciduous trees) can handle for six months.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
@ milehigh7 Saw that at the Depot but was afraid it would keep out too much sun... will have to check it out again once the stuff Im using dries out.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Below are pics of my shade.... uhhhh....thingy...not sure what to call it.
The first was taken about 11:30 or so the second shows the front that comes down around 1:30 to protect the pots from direct sunlight. The shade to the right of the stand is from a Mesquite tree that has exploded this year... Its going to be cut back soon so that area will no longer be shaded.

1.jpg

2.jpg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't change a thing other than the crushed granite around the base. You're probably getting alot of reflected heat and the heated granite acts as a "heat island" after the sun goes down. Might want to check into something like bark mulch or pine straw or the like for an area immediately around the trees. Watering the mulch underneath and around the trees will help keep things a bit cooler. That big rock might also contribute a bit to the heating in the area...

I wouldn't worry about the shade cloth. The stuff I used here in Va. was denser than that. I have stopped using it since I now have a shade tree that grows over the backyard. Why cut the mesquite back?

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Great idea about the removing the granite!
I love the mesquite tree but its pretty much over and touching the house.... cutting just that portion of the branches back will let the sun into the yard.

Last edited:

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I remember from my time in Az that many lawns were granite or even some type of astro turf as the dryness would not allow grass to be grown there. I would worry as much about the heat from the stucco wall behind the plants as the ground cover though. Your trees seem to be doing nice despite your worries.

ed

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yea,remember that full sun is only a mere 5 hours of sun a day or filtered light all day(really filtered).And that elms can take part sun which is like less than 5 hours ,but mor than 2.Should be plenty bright what you got going on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom