Shimpaku new front

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
All,

I wired the below Shimpaku last Saturday. The old back is now the new front. I failed to take any before pictures. This made for a much more dramatic appearance. The tree needs some pinching and filling out, but I like the change.

Comments welcome.

Regards,
Martin

Attachments

• Shimpaku 3-28 3.JPG
    Shimpaku 3-28 3.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 129
  • Shimpaku 3-28 5.JPG
    Shimpaku 3-28 5.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 122

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Hi Martin,

I really like the trunk on this one. The movement, bark and shari are all really nice. I think the branch placement is pretty good with the exception of the first back branch I think. If it were my tree I would bend the branch circled in red, to the right then bring the pad back to the left. To me it is coming out of the trunk mimicking the one above it too much. Looks kinda odd to me.

Once the foliage fills out and the apex grows out then gets fine tuned it can be a really nice little bonsai.

Thanks for sharing, and good start! I look forward to following the progress in the years to come.

Jason

Attachments

• Shimpaku%203-28%203[1].JPG
    Shimpaku%203-28%203[1].JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Antonio and Jason,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Concerning the branch Jason mentioned, I will take a look at it and see what can be done. If changes are made, a picture will be posted

In the meantime, here is a picture from the Bonsai Society of the Carolinas home page of the tree before it was re-worked. This picture shows the old front, which is now the back.

Comments welcome.

Regards,
Martin

Attachments

• Shimpaku 3-07 Spring Show.JPG
    Shimpaku 3-07 Spring Show.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
All,

Can someone please explain why this thread received a bad rating?

Regards,
Martin

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
It's not just this thread Martin. There are a number of threads with terrible ratings that don't deserve it. I recently voted 5-stars for the thread on layering coast live oaks because it was averaging 2 stars after 3 ratings. That thread didn't even have enough replies to warrant a rating at the time, and there was no reason for anyone to rate it poorly, so I thought I'd give it a bump. I noticed my azalea thread got a bad rating, but I figured it was because you guys didn't like me.:)

Last edited:

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think that's the first time I've ever looked at the thread rating. I wouldn't give it much credence. That's a fantastic trunk.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Martin,
I always save my bad ratings for posts that are self-aggrandizing or puffed up, so full of ego that it shouts more loudly than the content. I like your thread and have rated it excellent.

Some others are not so discriminating in the way they rate threads, doing it out of spite or for revenge. Just be glad there is no "reputation points" system here to be gamed.

As regards your tree, what is your plan for the apex? With a single apex branch pointing up, the tree looks very young. Have you considered lowering those branches to make a more rounded profile like a mature tree?

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Chris, Grog and Ross,

Thanks for the feedback. I should have been more specific and asked the person who rated the thread poorly why he or she did so.

Chris,

When re-working the tree I removed much foliage, the new leader is a little smaller than I want and I wanted to be careful with the future health of the tree, so I left an extra branch (the one pointing off to the right) and didn't severely bend or train the very top of the tree. You are absolutely correct, the leader looks young and will be worked as you suggested in the future when I am feeling happy with the tree's recovery. Thanks for the advice, it is appreciated.

Regards to all,
Martin

Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can actually see who rated your thread badly? How is that done?

Top Bottom