Shishigashira extreme makeover (still on the way)

Davidlpf

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, personally I do like to see other people work, and their trees, and how their trees react to thoses works, and I think that someone would like to see how my trees are going on.

If some one want to say anything, great, if there are any doubt, I'll try to answer, but IMHO the photos are cristal clear enought, and they speak by they own.

Is some one dislike the tree, the work, or even the music that I put in the video, internet is free, so can tell it, even though if some like it, I'll feel happy to read the comments of course.

But the aim of the post is to share the photos and videos wide web, saving a log of the progressión (or maybe involution) of the trees just in case any one can think it worth the effort.

Thanks for your comment, anyway, but remember "when the wise man points to the moon...." and I'm not trying to be a troll neither.

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Davidlpf could you please explain the purpose of the wire at the top of the cleared section? I am new at bonsai and have seen that often but never understood what it was for or exactly how it was applied.

Davidlpf

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Davidlpf could you please explain the purpose of the wire at the top of the cleared section? I am new at bonsai and have seen that often but never understood what it was for or exactly how it was applied.

@Silentrunning I've already talked about that here click,click, I hope that anawer you ;)

Yes, There are two reasons: cut the sap flow, and produce a bulk for better start of the nebary, better taper.

Greetings

Davidlpf

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Update 8/12/2018, Cutting the airlayers

Before
shish.jpg

shish3.jpg

After
shish4.jpg

The three litle trees
shish5.jpg

I put them together in a pot
shish6.jpg

And put some substrate in order to protect them from the winter cold

shish7.jpg
I'll do a beter root work ahead, when the spring will be closer

The wounds are in this way
shish1.jpg
shish2.jpg

Greetings from Spain.

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
Update 13/07/2018

It's closing wounds really fast
Greetings

Although it is closing nicely, the graft there is still very visible and IMHO quite ugly. Now that you see the plant airlayers fine I would try to airlayer just above the graft...

Last edited:

Davidlpf

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Although it is closing nicely, the graft there is still very visible and IMHO quite ugly. Now that you see the plant airlayers fine I would try to airlayer just above the graft...

Take a look at this post click,click, it seems that japanese maples tend to aged from bottom to the top
I´m not sure if mine is or not grafted, anyway, the bark will be blended in the future, I hope so.

Thanks for your comment.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice work, I'm doing an air layer on my Shishigashira at the moment as well. Started it last year but didn't get any roots but it did leaf out again this spring so I've scraped away a bit higher up and re-attached the spag moss in the hopes it will root this time.

In this case I feel like silence is better than the music... techno music feels like the polar opposite of everything bonsai stands for in my opinion o_O
LOL techno - Mike Oldfield & Tubular bells? Released in 1973. That's like calling bonsai wire 'new fangled'?

Davidlpf

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2020 update:

Hi.

After pass the seiju elm from my "growing field" to a colander click,click, I had put the arce in the biggest pot that I have, in order to improve its health, and develop the nebari faster, I hope...

Here you have some photos:

2/3 of the plastic pot filled with arlita
shishi.jpg
A plastic barrier to avoid straight downwards roots
shishi1.jpg

The arce over it
shishi2.jpg

And filled to the top with acid substrate.

shishi3.jpg

shishi4.jpg

This year I will let it grow....

Greetings from Spain

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You have put much effort into this tree. Ground layer, multiple air layers, root grafts etc. All to address the reverse taper, poor base, I imagine? Also, the big scar at base (which is closing). In the very beginning, could all of these issues have been more quickly addressed by air layering above the big scar (5cm higher).

Davidlpf

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Update 18/06/2020

It's growing quite well
shishi.jpg

shishi1.jpg

And this year, wounds are closing really fast, almost you can see how they close day by day

One of them
shishi4.jpg
shishi5.jpg
It's still in progress but not bad so far, patience is a virtue ;)
shishi6.jpg

shishi3.jpg

And the other big wound is doing on the same way
shishi7.jpg

shishi2.jpg

Any sings of roots in the airlayer yet, but who know, there's plenty of time before the autumn comes

Greetings

Last edited:
Top Bottom